Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer slide movement

I'm still having problems with crushing primers. I have no problems with the primer slide picking up a primer from the tube, only when inserting primers into brass. I was watching the press whille priming some test brass and as the toolhead comes down the locator pin is moving the primer slide back when it aligns it. How far forward should the primer slide move? Should it be alsmost aligned with its final location where it will be with the toolhead fully in the down position? What

Here is a video. The first part is at 30 frames per second and the second is at 240 without a primer. The third and 4th are ag 60 and 240 FPS with a primer. You can see the slide more around and I'm wondering if that is affecting where the primer is when it meets the brass to be seated.

Not in front of my press but it "looks" good to me.

I have bent the metal arm that moves the primer slide before when I got the machine jammed up a little and caused an alignment problem but it has always caused the slide to not move far enough forward rather than to far forward...... If you have access to another machine I would remove the stamped metal "arm" that activates the slide and compare it with one from a well tuned machine... They can and do bend. I took one of mine and heat tempered it to make sure it did not bend and affect the timing of the primer slide. And it did (along with not raunching down on the handle) correct my recurring problem.

I assume you have read this thread....

Edited by Merlin Orr

All my brass is sorted by headstamp. I'm seeing crushed primers with non crimped brass both with and with out the swage rod. I'm running though my supply of non crimped brass to try to figure it out. With crimped brass and the swager I have about the same amount of issues.

When I had this problem it was because the little delrin piece that holds the case into the shellplate was too tight, not allowing the case to "float" a bit so that the primer would be properly aligned with the primer pocket.

It's one of those "Goldilocks" type adjustments. Not too tight, not too loose..........just right. I set mine with a feeler gauge so that it has the same clearance regardless of which caliber I'm running. .008" - .009" seems to be the sweet spot.

Listen to Emerson, he has some time behind the press.....

What I do with cases is to loosen up the screw until a case rolling around into the slot will move it. I then run a couple of rounds through the shellplate, and then tighten up the screw for the white plastic piece and it is good to go. Had to do that with the press today when I switched over to 38 special from 9mm. Not a big deal.

Now, looking at the video.....it looks like the slide is going too far, and then coming back....maybe I looked at it wrong.

The arm of the primer activator should push the slide to the correct orientation, so the primer punch is oriented correctly and the primer is where it should be.

It looks like the slide goes too far, but it may be an optical illusion.

Try this......with the shellplate on, mark on the frame with a sharpie where the primer hole on the slide is when the shellplate is on. Take the shellplate off and physically move the slide to where you marked. Manually make the primer punch move up....just push up on the rocker arm, and see if the primer punch is oriented into the primer hole. It should push right up into the hole.

If it doesn't, then something is way out of spec......

Keep at it, it is the best thing going....

Good luck,

DougC

The slide is going slightly too far ahead but is pushed back slightly as the toolhead comes down and the toolhead rod pushes into the shellplate and primer area, pushing the primer slide into the correct position just before the primer punch comes up. My rl1050 does this as well and I just got it. I thought it was normal...Is it not??

Bets