Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

155gr Lead SWC with Unique

Bimmer

Hi all,

I already have 4,000 lead 155gr SWC bullets and 5 lbs. of Unique and two Glock 22s. Those variables can't really be changed.

I'm just loading practice/plinking ammunition, and the softer recoiling, the better.

I've been loading 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Unique, seating to 1.135" OAL, and crimping to whatever the SAAMI spec is (0.423"?).

This is way less than most published data I've seen, which typically says to start with 5.8 or 6.0 grains for 155gr. lead bullets.

This works well enough — the rounds cycle the action, and the recoil is low.

My only complaint is that they're a bit smokey (I try to shoot outdoors, aiming downwind).

My question is about powder charges and overall length, and how these might affect the smokiness and function. I've heard that higher pressures might make the powder burn more cleanly, with less smoke.

I'm happy enough continuing to load 4.5 or 5.0 grains of Unique, but I wonder if anybody is having any luck (or reliability problems) using even less, and/or how much more I would have to load for it to burn more cleanly (or if that's even possible).

I'm tempted to play with seating depths to change pressure, but I've heard (here) that Glock chambers are short and that I shouldn't load .40 longer than 1.135".

Any advice,

Bimmer

Function determines OAl, if your current oal works dont change it, Powder weight is used to raise and lower pressure, Unique and lead is dirty and will smoke, pretty much all there is to it, load up on the cheap practice ammo and just clean a bit more.

Hi all,

I already have 4,000 lead 155gr SWC bullets and 5 lbs. of Unique and two Glock 22s. Those variables can't really be changed.

I'm just loading practice/plinking ammunition, and the softer recoiling, the better.

I've been loading 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Unique, seating to 1.135" OAL, and crimping to whatever the SAAMI spec is (0.423"?).

This is way less than most published data I've seen, which typically says to start with 5.8 or 6.0 grains for 155gr. lead bullets.

This works well enough — the rounds cycle the action, and the recoil is low.

My only complaint is that they're a bit smokey (I try to shoot outdoors, aiming downwind).

My question is about powder charges and overall length, and how these might affect the smokiness and function. I've heard that higher pressures might make the powder burn more cleanly, with less smoke.

I'm happy enough continuing to load 4.5 or 5.0 grains of Unique, but I wonder if anybody is having any luck (or reliability problems) using even less, and/or how much more I would have to load for it to burn more cleanly (or if that's even possible).

I'm tempted to play with seating depths to change pressure, but I've heard (here) that Glock chambers are short and that I shouldn't load .40 longer than 1.135".

Any advice,

Bimmer

Bimmer, i load precision 155gr heads (moly coated) with 5.5gr Unique out of my g22 and g35. they run fine, no real smoke and pretty clean. If you clean after your sessions....no big deal.

z-

• 1 year later...

An update...

I tried 4.0 grains of Unique, but they barely had enough oomph to cycle the action, when clean, and they short stroked when it was dirty and cold. Back to 4.5 grains.

I've also gone to 1.150 OAL, based on the advice on this site. I tried 1.160, but then I had cartridges binding in the magazine. Using SWCs, there's no problem at all feeding/chambering these, and the recoil seems a bit lighter.

I load long. Unique is a moderately slow powder. At that load, you are not really getting any pressure to burn the powder.

Personally, if I can see smoke, it means that I am not concentrating on the target.

If the smoke bothers you, then either increase the charge or move to a faster powder.

For .40, my powders are AA5 for light to mid-range and Silhouette for mid-range to max.

You can move down to AA2 or Solo 1000 (both very well behaved powders like 231/HP38, but faster) and the smoke will go down.

If your lead bullets are still too smoky for you, you should order unlubed bullets and tumble lube in Rooster Jacket thinned with distilled water, Johnson Paste Wax thinned with Mineral Spirits (not the green aqueous monstrosity, or a 45% JPW/45% Lee Liquid Alox/10% Mineral Spirits. Any high carnauba wax lube will decrease smoke. The standard "lube" commercial casters use tends to be a high paraffin wax lube that is both brittle and smoky--it seems to be standard for this lube to be colored with what seems to be a blue crayon.

Thanks, noylj.

I still have 4lbs of Unique, so switching to a faster powder isn't going to happen soon. Meanwhile, I'm looking at eventually switching to Clays (once I've used up the Unique), because I've heard that (1) it's especially clean and (2) it's really good with light loads.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing...