Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle barricade dimensions

ap3

I was building props for a 3 gun class and I came across the dimensions for the rifle barricade used by Viking tactics and in the Noveske shooting video(which I highly reccomend), so I thought I would post them here if anybody was interested.

post-108-025685000 1297699444_thumb.jpg

post-108-093059000 1297699463_thumb.jpg

Edited by ap3

And if you build these nice walls, and paint them and make nice props for your match, some moron will come along and try to shoot through the skinny slots without turning their rifle sideways and shoot holes in your brand new props. I'm glad it was my buddy that built them and was the MD, cause I probably would have choked the $*&@ out of someone. Anyone seen my blood pressure medicine....

I made a couple of these, great practice. I made my support frame with only runners on the back so you don't have to lay/kneel on them, you can use either stakes or weights to keep them upright. We always make shooters put their muzzle through the port when shooting to prevent shooting the barricade.

David E.

And if you build these nice walls, and paint them and make nice props for your match, some moron will come along and try to shoot through the skinny slots without turning their rifle sideways and shoot holes in your brand new props. I'm glad it was my buddy that built them and was the MD, cause I probably would have choked the $*&@ out of someone. Anyone seen my blood pressure medicine....

We had a moron shoot the back window out a a car prop, because he did not remember that his scope sits on top of his receiver not beside it :angry2:

First: you have to be a huge terd to not think about shooting inside the car. Did he shoot the window or the sound wave popped the window?

Second: Please tell me that is wasn't someones car? How do you explain that to the insurance company?

Man I'd have to pack my gear and head home after that. I'd feel like such a dumb and my friends would never let me live it down lol

I've never shot a rifle or 3-gun match that uses one of these barriers, but I'm almost finished building mine and maybe hoping the local club will want to integrate into a match.

Other than the basic use that I've seen in the 3-Gun Nation shootout, how are these used? I was thinking that a good drill to do would be to set an IPSC target out at about 100 yards or so and take two shots at it from every position in a timed format.

What kind of drills are you guys doing with this barrier and what kind of COF's have you used this barrier on in matches?

I've never shot a rifle or 3-gun match that uses one of these barriers, but I'm almost finished building mine and maybe hoping the local club will want to integrate into a match.

Other than the basic use that I've seen in the 3-Gun Nation shootout, how are these used? I was thinking that a good drill to do would be to set an IPSC target out at about 100 yards or so and take two shots at it from every position in a timed format.

What kind of drills are you guys doing with this barrier and what kind of COF's have you used this barrier on in matches?

Kyle Lamb has a youtube video that shows him using it one shot for each port, but I don't remember how far the targets are downrange. The drill I have been using is to ground my rifle back up about 20 yards. Start by shooting at either 3 shotgun targets or pistol targets, run to the barricade ground the first gun get my rifle and shoot at three five inch targets 100 yard down range. Each time I run the drill I alternate rifle ports. I like to do rifle drills that gets my heart rate and breathing up before I shoot, so I can also practice settling into the rifle shot.

This is probably a good expansion of this thread....How does everyone use this barricade in practice.

P.S. The noveske shooting video utilizes this barricade in different training drills, and I highly reccomend it for purchase.

I always forget about youtube as a great free source for info. I really like "9-hole". That's my kind of game.

I only have one square port to cut and then complete the base frame and mine's done. I was rudely interrupted today by a neighbor just before starting the last 6"x6" port. :angry: Then it got dark and I had to start dinner.

I don't have a complete other half as I needed a 17.5" x 4' piece to make a little bunk in my rv for my 10 month old. So I plan on making a smaller barrier with different ports....thinking about putting in a round one. I'll post some pics when I finish it.

I use it at home for dry fire/getting into/out of position drills.

Note to all - Its better if the neighbors can't see you when doing this, don't ask how I know.

I have painted numbers on the ports of mine, if you have another person, you can start at low ready, call out a number, move to that position and shoot(not good for a match). Incorporates the mind which can be a challenge for some.

Also when shooting the “9 port” COF, you can use the numbers to specify the order, 9,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1 just don’t make it too much of a mind drill. This will work in a match if you keep it simple.

I use it as part of my .22 practice in the back yard, run to the barricade and shoot at different distance steel.

The vertical/horizontal steps can also be used as shooting positions.

I thought about using it as a side match stage, two barricades, 2 gongs 50-100 yds, side by side shooters, run the 9 port drill, first done wins. Similar to a plate match with self resetting steel.

Too funny that you mention the numbering. I was thinking about that on my ride home today. I've got cut out numbers at work so I'm going to incorporate it into my paint job. I was planning on numbering the ports, and lettering other shooting positions on the sides.

Nuke, How did you number yours? Maybe we could establish some sort of standard. :cheers:

Luckily when my neighbor interrupted me while cutting the thing up he didn't ask what it was for. I don't want my neighbors to know I have guns. Funny thing is I have probably 10 to 15 times the value in mountain bikes in my garage. I've left town for the weekend and left the garage door open. Upon return nothing was touched. I don't live in a bad neighborhood thank goodness, but it's not the best neighborhood either. No one steals bikes in this town because pawn shops will only give you a few bucks for a bike and most people are too lazy to ride a bike or they don't know how.

Looking at the barricade with the steps on the right (like the phot in the first post) my numbering is left to right, top to bottom, like reading a page.

After you/everyone gets used to shooting from one side, spin the barricade 180 for a brain challenge.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Also.....the Viking Tactics videos show their barrier mounted on top of the 2x4's that are on the ground. It elevates it 2 inches off the ground. Albert notched his so it's flush with the ground. I think I'll stick with having it elevated a bit instead of throwing a notch on each side.

A stop by the hardware store on my way home and I'll have this thing ready to go by Sunday. Wife's running a marathon on Sunday, so not sure if I'll get it to the range this weekend.

Also.....the Viking Tactics videos show their barrier mounted on top of the 2x4's that are on the ground. It elevates it 2 inches off the ground. Albert notched his so it's flush with the ground. I think I'll stick with having it elevated a bit instead of throwing a notch on each side.

A stop by the hardware store on my way home and I'll have this thing ready to go by Sunday. Wife's running a marathon on Sunday, so not sure if I'll get it to the range this weekend.

now a days, 2x4's are actually 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 :)

i made the notches in mine. i'll post the picks when i'm finished. cutting the holes is a pita.

now a days, 2x4's are actually 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 :)

i made the notches in mine. i'll post the picks when i'm finished. cutting the holes is a pita.

Cutting the corners is a PITA also. My poor POS jigsaw was worked after that task. Fun to see it all finally come together though.

I finished mine just before lunch. Numbers, paint, and supports. I kept my supports the same length due to a shortage of stud material and me not wanting to burn $4 of diesel for one 2x4.

The high side is sturdier than any barricade my local club uses. Their stuff is janky.

post-26807-042481700 1299353477_thumb.jp

post-26807-026996400 1299353493_thumb.jp

I forgot to mention using bolts, washers, and wing nuts to mount the plywood to the supports. Biker33, looks like you used bolts. Wing nuts makes for easy set=up, breakdown and transport.

David E.

I forgot to mention using bolts, washers, and wing nuts to mount the plywood to the supports. Biker33, looks like you used bolts. Wing nuts makes for easy set=up, breakdown and transport.

David E.

I used bolts and wingnuts. It only took me about 3 minutes to set up.

After looking at 9 hole video again on youtube, you can see that the supports on their barricade are the same length.