Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 155 lswc load with vv320, clays, bullseye

msb

Hello all you reloading masters I am looking for a accurate load for minor power factor in 40 s&W with a 155 lswc I'll be shooting it from a S&W M&P FS 4.25 and want to use stock springs. I like clays, vv320, and bullseye powders but halso have WST. Thanks for all your help

Sort of an unusual bullet choice for a minor load in a semi-auto but here goes. I went to Hodgdon's web site and found this in their load data pages.

They have a starting load for jacketed 155's so to use lead I dropped 10% on that charge weight. At 1.1.25 C.O.A.L. start at 3.2 grains of Clays. Have not used

Bullseye since the early 80's and I won't waste my money on the other stuff with the weird name. wink.gif

Verify this info with your manuals and chronograph.

Jim

Sort of an unusual bullet choice for a minor load in a semi-auto but here goes. I went to Hodgdon's web site and found this in their load data pages.

They have a starting load for jacketed 155's so to use lead I dropped 10% on that charge weight. At 1.1.25 C.O.A.L. start at 3.2 grains of Clays. Have not used

Bullseye since the early 80's and I won't waste my money on the other stuff with the weird name. wink.gif

Verify this info with your manuals and chronograph.

Jim

THank you for the info yeah I know its alittle unconventional but that bullet shape has proven it can be very accurate in 45 m&p 200gn just wondering if the 40 can do that also at minor it would be sweet for idpa

I can assure you that your "delivery system" (gun and ammo) is more than sufficient in the accuracy department. Now the "fire control unit" is another matter all together. Wear that M&P out.

Jim

Edited by Jman

This is not tried yet but I'm working up a load with N320 and 155 FP bullets. I'm starting at around 4.8 and work my way from there. Some forum members use as low as 4.4 and some up to 6 for minor/major respectively.

I should be going to the range on Monday or Tuesday to try it out and see how it works. I'll let you know...

I have nothing for a 155gn lead bullet and N320. The following is the jacketed data I have. For lead bullets, I would start at 4.5gn and work up.

.40 S&W

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max Power Factor COL

HP-XTP 155 N320 5.1 1091 Start 169

FP 155 N320 5.2 0

XTP 155 N320 5.2 0

JHP 155 N320 5.4 1020 158 1.1770

FP 155 N320 5.8 1157 179 1.1260

XTP 155 N320 5.8 1178 183 1.1260