Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting Options

ss+P

Been shooting USPSA for 2 years now, Mostly in Limited and Production. Thinking of making the move to open division, but have a bunch of questions, most I am finding answers too.

One i can't find answers too is why does it seem like most shooters are mounting optics to the slides when using glocks and M&P's, why aren't/can't people using a frame mounted mount. Hope that makes since.

Thanks for the responses

Personnel preference to me. Slide mounted optics are closer to the iron sight height I'm used to. I can swap the lower back to my Limited gun easier too. Pretty much it.

Jim

My Glock has a frame-mounted mount -- but yes, since it is softer, you cant just drill and tap. The SJC mounts have to basically 'melt' or inlet an entire support piece into the frame.

That being said, while glocks are quite a bit cheaper to get into the 'open' category, the trigger setup doens't lend it self to being competitive against fully tuned (and three times more expensive) race guns. That being said, it's still a LOAD of fun to shoot, especially for the price!

IMAG0077.jpg

I know that glocks and m&ps are polymer can like the one person did, can't you drill and tap polymer. not really sure,

nice open glock by the way.

what about rail mountings. any input onto yes/no good/bad

sorry got interupted and tried to type that way to fast.

I know they are polymer, but why can't you drill and tap it like the one guy did or is it too weak.

what about attacting a "scope" mount to the rails on those guns

sorry got interupted and tried to type that way to fast.

I know they are polymer, but why can't you drill and tap it like the one guy did or is it too weak.

what about attacting a "scope" mount to the rails on those guns

Bobby Carver makes a mount very close to what your talking about.

B&B Enterprises....I think.

Jim

edited to add link. www.bb-enterprise.biz/

Edited by Jman

Jager explains this on their website.

The slide-to-frame fit on a Glock is loose by design to increase reliability in combat conditions, however the barrel-to-slide lockup is nice and tight. A frame mounted optic will not be as accurate as a slide mounted optic unless the slide-to-frame fit is corrected. Due to the excess horzontal and verticle play the slide will not always return to the exact same point on the frame. By mounting the optic on the slide you take the frame-to-slide fit out of the equation.

The slide mounted optic is also closer to the center of rotation in recoil reducing the up/down movement of the dot. If the gun shoots flat this may have less of an effect. Some shooters are distracted by the dot moving with the slide in recoil. The lack of a mount/optic over the ejection port eliminates the need to have the port lowered and tuned due to brass hitting the mount and jamming on ejection. The slide mounted dot is easier to find because it is near where you are used to looking for iron sights (this issue can be overcome with practice).

1911s with frame mounted optics have tight slide to frame fits. That is one reason the 1911 race guns with frame mounted C-Mores are so expensive. Some 1911 shooters are now using mounts that rotate the optics 90 degrees to get them lower and closer to the slide (like a slide mount) and also reduce the chance of contact with ejecting brass.

A Glock Unlimited gun with a 3.5 lb trigger in 9 Major gets you in the game for 1/3 the price of a STI True-Bor. I personally am not good enough to be held back by the difference in the slightly lighter 1911 trigger. YMMV.

Edited by wmspdi