Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OCW load with 2230?

saibot

Hello experts!

I was wondering if any of you have developed an Optimum Charge Weight for 2230 and a 55g bullet?

I haven't gotten a chance to do it myself and have just been using a load I developed for a different AR. I'd like to have one load that works great with any AR I feed it to so just trying not to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

As I understand it... The Federal Gold Match 168gr SMK .308 is a favorite load for police snipers because it works well for it's intended task. But the rifles it's used in are remarkably similar. They are all bolt action heavy barrels in the 20"-26" range and the target distance is in the 100-300yd range. The powder used is fast enough so that it is almost completely burned in a 20" barrel. The weight of the bullet is light and short enough to be able to be loaded to magazine length in most barrel twists but heavy enough to do the job. In other words everything about it is tailored to suit a particular rifle and job.

You are trying to find an optimal weight for a specific powder and a generic 55gr bullet. No range is specified. Barrel length could be anything from 16" to 20"+ with an unspecified twist and any barrel weight from light to heavy. There are just too many variables.

For a MG 55gr bullet, I'm getting fairly consistent results with 24.5gr of AA2230 out of an 18" heavy contour barrel with a 1:9 twist and a PWS compensator. But I have never bothered to take the time to run any ladder tests because it's just not important to me.

FWIW, OCW is something that precision long range bolt action shooters would do using a single stage press and precision dies. I just don't think you are going to get any kind of payback trying to find the perfect load for an AR15 being loaded on a progressive. Too many variables.

I've had pretty good luck with 24.3, but will be doing some more experimenting now.

There is something called ladder testing. If I understand how it works, you basically want to set up batches of 3-5 rounds at gradual (0.1gr) increases starting BELOW your current load and working up. You chrono these and look to see if there is a particular point where you are getting a particularly low SD over a range of volume and to see if you get a plateau. What you are looking for is a point at which you get a good SD over a small range so that even if you have minor variations in the load, the velocity will not change that much. This will usually equate to a "sweet spot" where you should bet getting a minimum variation in the POI as well.

This sweet spot is going to vary some with powder, bullet, seating depth, barrel, etc. What works for one gun may not work for another.

24.5 with a 55gr bullet should do anything you need it to do

that's my standard load for a hornady 55gr fmj. I can get less than inch from that load when I'm shooting off a rest using a magnified optic. i've never bothered doing a ladder test since I don't need more than that for practicing field positions @ 100 yards or less.

Had to go to 24.9 with 55 nosler BT's to match the ACOG reticle...which it does beautifully.

Cool.

I'm just getting into this whole rifle accuracy thing with a .308 bolt action and boy, can you burn through a lot of time and supplies real fast just testing. Biggest problem is that, with the cost of shipping, you are almost forced to just pick a powder and pray you got it right.

Optimum Charge Weight. I see we have a new buzzphrase. Am I really that far out of touch? Nothing will ever replace individual load development in your particular rifle, with your particular components, under your particular conditions. At least for optimum performance.