Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on the IDPA Classifier

Duane Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you are fairly skilled to begin with, you need to break down the classifier into what each stage calls for.  Stage 1 is accuracy, you have to hit the head shots; stage 2 is the speed stage where you make up for the time you used making the head shots, and stage 3 is where most new shooters fold like a cheap suit.  They put too much pressure on themselves to make all A hits and subsequently take too long to let the shot go.  Go as fast as you can and  still make all B hits.  To make CDP Master, you should shoot the first stge in about 25 or 26, the second stage in 22.5 or 23 and that leaves you 40 seconds to shoot the last stage.  If you shoot stage 3, string 1 in 12, 6 down; string 2 in 12.5, 6 down and string 3 in 5, 0 down you showld make Master with time to spare.  You should not be more than  4 down on each of the first two stages, it is so close.  That is how I did it.  Shot it in 83+ on the first try.  Have shot it as low as 75+, but that was in practice.  You have to have good barricade technique for stage 3 and the way I see lots of guys shoot the barricade is poor.  Resting the pistol on the barricade, canting the pistol, etc.,  I keep telling them, but to no avail.  I guess they want to be sharpshooters all their life, so they can sandbag the matches.  Question is who wants to be National Marksman Champ?  Since I am older than dirt, I would like to see it like IPSC was in the late '70's and early '80's, everyone shoot heads up, no classes...really makes you take stock of your ability or lack of it.

Shot my first IDPA match Saturday, then shot the classifier.  101 seconds for time in SSP, I guess that makes me Expert?  Damn, missed Master by 3 seconds!

I'll do better next time.....

When you shoot it again, go to the line thinking that you will take enough time to get those heads correctly.  You can average 2.4 per Mozambique and still have plenty of time.  It is great to be able to say that you shot those targets in 1.75, but remember; just like any "hammer drill"  where you can get caught up in the speed, you can't win the match there, but you can loose it there.  Same with the classifier.

You'll get it next time.

• 5 weeks later...

I just shot the classifier a week ago...was Marksmen before, only 1.5 points from sharpshooter.

I read the tips on the classifier and followed them...this classifier came in at 136.42...almost 20 points better just by following the advice from that web page.  

Took my time on the head shots, and the third stage...have to practice those longer shots with the SigSauer 225, but otherwise am pleased.  I know I can cut down the time more next time.

Tightloop,

Where do you shoot in Houston? & where and when is the next classifier.

I plane on re-shooting it and bumping myself up to master after the WHIDPA match tomorrow night and the Trophy race for the year is over, LOL  Missed master last time by .12  Damn 7:am on a Saturday morning is to early to shoot for score, probably a good thing the SO wasn't giving breathalizer's.  Maybe they shood when they hold them that early on Saturdays morning and them deduct your BAC from your score?

Better yet from each string.

Phil

i have just about quit shooting, but when I feel the need to kick some butt, I go to Eagle Lake on the 3rd

Saturday or to Pearland Sportsman Club on th 1st Saturday.  Check the web sites for the classifiers, I just don't follow them anymore.  Good Luck, if I can help yu in any way , let me know.