Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight

Leroy

I am looking for a Gold bead front sight for a revolver..686 PC model 38 super with the interchangeable front sight.

Does anyone know who sells these.. I have tried to contact smith and wesson but so far no reply.

Thanks,

Leroy

I had just put one on this last weekend and what a difference, I have tried the light rods but they were to distracting, but the gold just perfect for me, it really tightend up my groups at the ipsc match I shot at this saturday. there are two types offered, the classic DX, and the pined in type, make sure you get the right one which I think your is the classic DX

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

Scott manufactures some excellent sight systems. He's worked on three of my SSR guns.

I have his fiber optic front sight on two and just added a gold bead to one. The fiber optic front sights are really bright outside but the gold bead is ridiculously bright under lower light situations (IE a basement).

redmist10,

When you say the gold dot is ridiculously bright in low light conditions, how is that compaired to a fiber-optic. I have wanted to put a gold dot on my 610 but I shoot about half my shooting at an indoors range and have been concerned about being able to see it and have been scared to try it.

I may have to give it a shot.

thanks

dj

I was STUNNED how much brighter the SDM gold bead was in contrast to the SDM fiber optic (and I love his fiber optics!) I have the green fiber optic on three revolvers and decided to try this "gold bead" experiment after hearing other guys talk about it.

(non-scientific test results = ) Standing about six feet away from the low light of a single 60 watt bulb (in the basement) the fiber optic appears as if it is a black sight in comparison - No kidding :huh: . The gold bead is reflecting the limited light like a beacon. It's hard NOT to look at the front sight when its glaring at you like that.

I was having trouble picking up the front sight in the lower light conditions of indoor ranges at matches. The gold bead fixed the situation.

SDM uses a rounded face his beads. I think this is better than some flat-faced gold front sights becuase the round faced ones tend to bend the light a tad more...IMHO.

I got my gold bead friday and tried it out this week end.. Looks pretty good it was a big adjustment for me from the red optic..

I think the gold bead is worth the price.. I got teh SDM with the rounded nose..

Leroy

I went to Brownells web sight and typed in gold in the search box and followed the link to the s&w sights.. I don't think this sight is in the catalog and if you can get Brownells wholesale price it will save you some money.

Leroy