Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weak hand freestyle?

lumpygravy

I just shot a club match where, on one stage, there was a plate rack with a lefty "orientation" - you know only visible from around the left side of a barricade/vision barrier in combination with a fault line that made it difficult for right handed shooters. There happened to be a lefty in the squad and she took the plate rack very naturally in comparison to the preceding righties whose contortions, times and extra shots spoke volumes of the awkwardness they experienced with this part of the stage.

Though I have never practiced it, when it was my turn (I'm a righty), I decided that I would transfer to weakhand freestyle to engage the rack like the natural lefty then switch back to stronghand freestyle for the remainder of the stage. It was certainly more comfortable and stable and I think I took one extra shot to clear the rack.

I know this is not any sort of technique break through, but until then, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before. It seems like it might be a handy skill to have in the bag if the situation is presented.

Anyone else come across this? Do you practice it?

Edit: Hmm... maybe this should be under Techniques instead of Tips. Mods please move if miscategorised. lg.

Edited by lumpygravy

I practice both strong and weak hand shooting on a plate rack. Every training session usually has some weak and strong hand shooting. But when I bring out the plate rack, I do a lot of strong and weak hand shooting.

I may start at 15 yards, but I end up doing a lot at 20+ yards.

BTW: this is with a .22 and a 4 inch round plates.

I believe more strong and weak hand shooting helps your freestyle. I seem to really focus on the front sight picture and break the shot more cleanly. The small plates are brutal! There is no forgiveness in a 4inch plate.

Weakhand shooting is something I practice quite a bit of actually. I keep getting more and more problems with my strong side wrist and elbow so for the last year or so I always try to put in some weak side practice in case the day comes that I can't shoot with my strong hand anymore. That being said, I've used it to my advantage in matches when targets/shooting positions preferred a left-handed approach. There are certainly instances where it speeds things up.

While I support being able to shoot with both hands, I think you would gain more in the situation you describe by squaring up your stance and working on flexibility in the knees and balance.

On the walkthrough, I definitely tried to maintain free style on the rack. I'm also pretty low to the ground with a low(er) center of gravity than most. But deep knee bend or not, the rack was placed so far around the barricade, I couldn't see a way to maintain my balance and a freestyle grip. There was also a brace on the back side of the barricade that prevented a very low stance.

One of the other guys pinched the barricade under his right arm. I think someone else braced with their right hand and engaged the rack weak hand only.

Now I know how lefties feel shooting around the right side :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I think to practic weak hand is important but not the most important... Remember its only about 1% of USPSA. I've shot 2-3 matches a month for the last 2 years and 5 Level II matches and only used weak hand maybe 10 times... Its important to know and practice but not your total focus, in my opinion...

I too, am guilty of not practicing enough weak hand shooting, but most of my weak hand practice is weak hand unsupported. This was pointed out to me at our last club match where weak hand freestyle was permitted. Since I practice mostly weak hand unsupported, I shot that portion as such, but made me realize I need to become proficient weak hand FREESTYLE as well.

You're right, not a new technique breakthrough, but sometimes you just don't think of things. Now that I'm keeping a journal and tracking my progress, making sure I practice specifics is much easier.

Good thread!

This is what I was thinking: to have a skill in the "toolbag" as it were that could be deployed if the situation was suitable.

Many times I fall into practicing SHO/WHO because that is usually what's stipulated in many classifiers or standards.

But in many field courses, WH is an option and because it is a field course, sometimes shifting to WH freestyle may provide a more stable platform for shots that must reach around a barricade.

Something to add to the practice drills list...