Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the Hornady primer feed system?

Hornary does not give any information what it does and I doubt I need one because I own the Dillon primer tube filler which I like so much that I bought a second one so now I own one for large primers and one for small primers.

I would like to know more about it even if I don't have any intention of buying one

Link to Hornady site

Graf site showing picture of Hornady primer with no description or info

Edited by silvercorvette

Those are the parts that go on the LNL press to bring primers from the magazine to the seating punch as well as the magazine assembly itself.

It has nothing to do with filling primer tubes, which it sounds like your question was asking.

And if you were wondering, the Dillon tubes work peachy for the Hornady press.

Those are the parts that go on the LNL press to bring primers from the magazine to the seating punch as well as the magazine assembly itself.

It has nothing to do with filling primer tubes, which it sounds like your question was asking.

And if you were wondering, the Dillon tubes work peachy for the Hornady press.

I absolutely love the dillon primer filler but I don't know if it saves much time because I find it fascinating to watch the thing work. the smart thing would be to do other things and let the primer filler do it's thing but I really enjoy watching it work.

I got my press a few days before Christmas and case feeder a short time ago but am still waiting on the bullet feeder.I haven't set up the press yet because I have been having problems with my arthritis and have been in so much pain I can't walk too much or stand too long so other than opening the box the press came in and giving it a quick look I haven't done anything with it yet ( I am feeling a bit better today). The bullet feeder looks like it will be a long wait so I was going to set the press and feed the bullets by hand but the pain has been so bad all I have been doing is laying in bed and watching TV.

I assume the primer feeder must be something optional because I just looked inside the box and I see the primer tubes but I don't see anything in the box that looks like the red thing with a knob on it

Even though things haven't been going to good with my health I consider myself luck to have a police pension that allows me to put food on the table and a roof over my head.

This usually happens every winter and gets better when the weather warms up, but this is the first time it has been this bad since I moved from NY 3 1/2 years ago.

The reason I mention this is I mentioned I also own a dillon 650 and a few people had asked me to compare the Hornady to the Dillon when I get things set up but it looks like it will take longer than I expected to be set up.

I highly recommend that you start setting the press up with out the bullet feeder. The LnL casefeeder slider is very different then the Dillon. You need to spend some time with the press with out the casefeeder running, then with the casefeeder, then add the bullet feeder. It's very easy to disable to casefeeder so go ahead and install the subplate when bolt he press down.

I highly recommend that you start setting the press up with out the bullet feeder. The LnL casefeeder slider is very different then the Dillon. You need to spend some time with the press with out the casefeeder running, then with the casefeeder, then add the bullet feeder. It's very easy to disable to casefeeder so go ahead and install the subplate when bolt he press down.

When I ordered it I intended to wait till I had all the parts, but the backorder was pushed back from Jan ton Feb and now it's pushed back to May 12th so I am not going to wait till then. I called Hornady and they said they expect to start shipping in March. I have orders placed with Midway, Midsouth, and Graf. The first one to ship gets bought the other two get canceled. Even if the bullet feeder does arrive the bullet feeder dies are also back ordered so I have no choice than to start now if I wan to build up a supply for warm outdoor range weather

The cold weather always brings pain for me so the past couple weeks were so bad and I was in so much pain I couldn't do anything even if I had everything I need but at least I have all the shell plates I need.

Things are starting to turn for the better and I expect to get set up and cranking out ammo very soon, as soon as I straighten out the mess that piled up while I was spending most of my time in bed.

The good news is my free bullets arrive today, and the custom order shell plate for FN 5.7X28 arrives Thursday. I ordered the most expensive bullets I shoot which are .44 magnum even though I am going to shoot mostly .45 ACP, 9MM, & .223 because they are the 3 calibers that I own guns that fire full auto

I don't know how many rounds you need to crank out, but the Hornady is very easy to work without a case feeder, unlike the Dillons.

It is easy to slide in an empty case, look down at the charged case, and place a bullet on it, all with the left hand.

I would recommend that you try to enjoy what you have so you are ready for the case feeder and only have that to get used to.

Also, with a case feeder, you need to do all your case inspection before or after case cleaning. I take all my brass from the range and inspect, deprime, and sort prior to cleaning as I am not going to be able to look at the case individually after that.

I don't know how many rounds you need to crank out, but the Hornady is very easy to work without a case feeder, unlike the Dillons.

It is easy to slide in an empty case, look down at the charged case, and place a bullet on it, all with the left hand.

I would recommend that you try to enjoy what you have so you are ready for the case feeder and only have that to get used to.

Also, with a case feeder, you need to do all your case inspection before or after case cleaning. I take all my brass from the range and inspect, deprime, and sort prior to cleaning as I am not going to be able to look at the case individually after that.

I have the case feeder, it's the bullet feeder I am waiting for. The main thing that has kept me from setting up my new press are health problems.

In the past few years I have done a lot of moving around and that along with health problems has kept me from reloading. The fact that I bought a few full auto weapons has been an incentive to start reloading after a long lay off.

As far as cases got have thousands of new cases (mostly .45 ACP and 9 MM) along with cases that have been tumbled and inspected, I have primers and powder on hand so as soon as I am feeling better I will be ready to start making ammo. I really wanted to have the bullet and case feeder set up but with the long delay on the back order it looks like I'll have to start without the bullet feeder.

It is somewhat of a frustrating situation because back in December when I bought the press I really felt great with almost no issues with pain, then the cold weather and a few other thing knocked me on my butt and set me back a few weeks but hopefully I should have the new press and case feeder up and running in the next week or two.

Sorry to hear about your health. I would say come to Arizona, but it gets cold here at night during the winter.

I was all excited about retirement 6 years ago, and my health dropped like a stone after retirement.

If you have full autos, have you considered a Dillon 1050?

Sorry to hear about your health. I would say come to Arizona, but it gets cold here at night during the winter.

I was all excited about retirement 6 years ago, and my health dropped like a stone after retirement.

If you have full autos, have you considered a Dillon 1050?

I have the Dillon 650 and the reason I switched to Hornady was because Dillon refuses to support the FN 5.7X28 due to safety reasons. A Dillon rep was nice enough to answer my questions about the FN 5.7 and I didn't like what his reasons were but I respect the reasons for his answer

Hornary makes a custom shellplate for their press that I paid $120 for.

As far as Arizona goes I had considered moving there because I have a child hood friend that I knew since I was about 6 or 8 years old but wound up owning a house in TX and living there for a short time but I eventually wound up in SC. SC works for me because I can drive back to visit friends in NY in a days drive.

If my plans work out I plan on driving to Tucson this spring or early summer to visit my friend

Edited by silvercorvette