Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 223 - How short is too short?

kasen

I've been trimming cases of .223 (mixed brass from the range) to 1.75 per my reloading manual recommended length. However, a lot of the brass I've collected is shorter than 1.75. I'm mainly reloading using 55gr boat tail, nothing smaller. How to short is too short to reload?

Edited by kasen

How much shorter than 1.75?

Are you measuring before sizing? They will grow when re-sized. Mine typically grow about .006"/.007".

If you are using a bullet with a cannelure and it will still crimp into it, I think you are fine. Any shorter and I'd start to worry about having enough bullet tension to hold the bullet in place during feeding. But other than that I can see no real danger.

Are you measuring before sizing? They will grow when re-sized. Mine typically grow about .006"/.007".

If you are using a bullet with a cannelure and it will still crimp into it, I think you are fine. Any shorter and I'd start to worry about having enough bullet tension to hold the bullet in place during feeding. But other than that I can see no real danger.

How much shorter than 1.75? Let's say 1.65 and 55 grain without a cannelure...

I'll give further context, I'm using a Giraud trimmer set at 1.75. Anything that doesn't get trimmed is suspect. There's a lot of mixed brass (not mine) I'd like to use but it's shorter.

Edited by kasen

I've been wondering this also, I de-prime and resize my brass then go to trim it and some of the brass is as short as 1.740 maybe a little less... stuff thats greater than 1.745 I've been keeping the others I've been tossing in my bad brass ammo can. I use a 550B with Dillon dies.

How much shorter than 1.75? Let's say 1.65 and 55 grain without a cannelure...

I'll give further context, I'm using a Giraud trimmer set at 1.75. Anything that doesn't get trimmed is suspect. There's a lot of mixed brass (not mine) I'd like to use but it's shorter.

Oops...Sorry I took a vacation on you. Watching this one now. :unsure:

1.65? That's .100" less!

Are you sure that's not a typo? Because there can't be a lot of neck left if that number's right.

That's definitely a lot shorter than I would use. .015/.020 is one thing, even .030, but .100?

I wouldn't use them unless you are single loading in a bolt action. And then I still wouldn't use

them because they just couldn't be very consistent with that much less tension on the bullet.