Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressed Saiga

Charles Bond

Fron watching Sons of Guns on Discovery, I have become rather interested in the suppressed Saiga shotguns produced by Red Jacket guns in LA. If anyone on the forum owns one or has used one, please post your impressions or send me a message as I would like to learn more about them.

I should have been more specific.....it is generally accepted that suppressors shoot for the 120's as a that meets OSHA's single exposure hearing safe rating.

You are correct OSHA requires hearing protection for 8 hour exposure to anything above 90db.

To be clear unless shooting subsonic rounds I am generally a hearing protection nazi. In the above statement I was simply indicating that while the bubba gump gunshop suppressor did provide some sound suppression it was not even close to the worst performing rifle cans.

How much of the remaining sound was the sonic crack? I know an FFL/SOT who suppressed an old single shot 20 gauge. Run wet with subsonic shells, the sound of the pellets impacting the berm is almost louder than the report. I think he wrote an article for Small Arms Review about it.

ETA: link to thread on another forum: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/44184-Prototype-Supressed-Shotgun

Edited by jar

How much of the remaining sound was the sonic crack? I know an FFL/SOT who suppressed an old single shot 20 gauge. Run wet with subsonic shells, the sound of the pellets impacting the berm is almost louder than the report. I think he wrote an article for Small Arms Review about it.

ETA: link to thread on another forum: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/44184-Prototype-Supressed-Shotgun

We have had them in the UK since I was a kid. Here is an example. Nothing very new, except in the US where politicians get their panties in a wad about "assassination weapons" :angry2:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I saw that episode too. They sure didn't use any standard setup for measuring that 144 dB level. Most companies will measure at a distance of 1 meter from the muzzle (results look better), their 'range' didn't look much wider than a meter. And I bet they get plenty of echo down that hallway.

That said, as we know, muzzle blast is extremely directional. With 144 near the muzzle, perceived levels at the shooter's ear may be much lower than that.