Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel fit

Precision40

I have an STI open gun which feels really sloppy as far as the barrel goes. When the gun is in full battery, I can press on the top of the chamber and the barrel wiggles a little. When it is at slide-lock, the barrel fit is extremely loose. I'd say I can move the barrel about 1/8-1/4" up and down (measured at the end of the comp)

It seems to be a VERY loose fit overall. How much overall play should be in the barrel fit?

If your gun works now, fine and dandy. But when/if you get it rebarreled, the standard should be zero movement at the hood and the muzzle. Properly fitted barrels have *no* movement in those areas.

The barrel will be a little floppy with the slide back. In a well fit gun, the barrel will not move when the slide is all the way forward.

That does not mean that your gun is no good. If it runs, and gives acceptable accuracy, spend your money on ammo.

I've heard that slop is fine as long as it shoots a good group. The gun will have no slop when the round goes off because bullet torque will always put the clearance to zero in the same places.