Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confused about production numbers in Limited

diehli

In the latest issue of Front Sight, John Amidon said that SV's Hybrid (non-ported) barrel w/ the front sight mounted on the gun is not allowed yet because the production numbers aren't enough... or at least USPSA hasn't received a letter indicating such.

Here's what I don't get: has Springfield made 500 6-inch barreled, double-stack framed 1911-style firearms? If they haven't, why can TGO use one to win the LimNats? Seems to me that the issue there is that there be 500 frames in production... fine, but why does it differ for the SV hybrid barrel w/ front sight?

I gotta be missing something here... someone want to clue me in?

Guest Larry Cazes

It is entirely possible that SV has just not sent in the proper documentation yet. For a company the size of Springfield, their minimum production run lot size has got to be close to or greater than 500. I have never run a first article production run of less than 500 at a subcontractor. For a production line, 500 is not a big number.

The rule reads 500 for gun or components...

This question came up a couple of years ago when TGO rode one of those 6in gun while winning the Limited 10 title. I guess there must be enough 6 inch guns out there?

I hope SV gets on the ball and gets 500 guns out (and lets us all know). And soon...because the ACTUAL gun they use in they advertisements showed up at a local match the other day.

I wish somebody'd do *something* about it. Not having to find a reciprocating sight would be a huge advantage. Then there's the extra non-reciprocating mass to keep the muzzle down and the lighter slide....

What's not to like? (Besides the price.)

The rule reads 500 for gun or components...

Ah... since that's the case, I'd say that it truly IS on Schuemann's or SV's heads to get the documentation in.

I've seen enough of these barrels on open guns to know that there have got to be 500 units out there.

If the issue is that there may not be 500 out there in .40 with the front sight mounted on 'em... then it'd sound to me like the rule isn't being enforced universally.

Not having to find a reciprocating sight would be a huge advantage.
Would it? Are your eyes and brain fast enough to be able to see the scan lines on your TV actually trace across the screen or the individual frames when watching a movie? If not, you're not going to be able to see the sight move either.