Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems sighting in FN SLP

TX Peanut

I’m trying to sight my new FN SLP with slugs. Nothing like shooting slug of a bench ugg. But I’m hitting very high, and if I lower the rear sight I won’t be able to see the v because it will be below the rail atop shotgun. Any ideas? That is right, to lower impact point you lower the rear sight?

THX Dale

I'm trying to sight my new FN SLP with slugs. Nothing like shooting slug of a bench ugg. But I'm hitting very high, and if I lower the rear sight I won't be able to see the v because it will be below the rail atop shotgun. Any ideas? That is right, to lower impact point you lower the rear sight?

THX Dale

Yes, you lower the rear or raise the front if you're hitting high....If you can't move the rear sight any lower without losing it below the rail, then you can either change slug type, change choke type, change zeroing distance, hold low, or buy a taller front sight.

Try a reduced recoil slug, I had the same problem shooting full power loads, but was dead on with reduced power slugs

Edited by GorillaTactical

On my SLP, I put a 1/4" riser under my front sight, and bought the largest adjustable rear sight blade midway offered (I JB welded it up, so it wouldn't get knocked down agian in a match), and mine are now easy to aquire, and DEAD ON! good luck

That’s true, after trying many different type of slugs,

this FN group the best with Fed truball low recoil slugs,

but all the slug were very high out at 50.

I do have a Modified choke that came with the gun; I’ll try it the next time at the range.

Will the modified make the bird shot pattern very tight though?

technetium-99m was it hard to press out the old front sight,

I have been known to go with a hammer that too big for the job.

But I think I’ll go with your idea of a taller front sight, THX.

Since you mentioned shooting of a bench: Elevating the front sight on the SLP is frequently needed and the suggestions above are right on, but make sure you have are supporting the shotgun with your hand when sighting in with slugs. Do not rest the barrel or fore-end on a rest. I have heard a couple of theories on why this is necessary which are probably correct, but whatever the physics behind it, shooting slugs off a rest without your hand or some other relatively fluid rest supporting the gun will make your shots go high.

Andy

technetium-99m was it hard to press out the old front sight,

I have been known to go with a hammer that too big for the job.

But I think I’ll go with your idea of a taller front sight, THX.

It wasn't bad really, nothing like getting the sights out of my XD's slide.

Just make sure you secure it well before you try to drift it out.