Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tai chi

fishhunter3

• 2 years later...

I've been doing Tai Chi for about 15 months and I love it! It's really helping with my balance and coordination (which is why I started in the first place), and you'll be amazed at how strong your legs get after you do it regularly for a few months.

• 3 months later...

I'm 40, and was diagnosed with a herniated disc a couple of years ago. Luckily it's not too serious, but two of the things the doc suggested to slow down the progression of the injury, other than losing some weight (I've lost nearly 10 kg since then) were pilates and tai chi. I alternate those two activities with a well controlled workout routine and a lot of stretching at the gym and it has paid off. Reinforcing the muscles around the waist and legs has helped a lot with my back. No more serious problems so far. I can tell the difference when shooting.

Tai Chi is adequate for people of any age. It does help a lot. Go ahead. You'll like it.

I hear so many good things about Tai Chi and thought it would be perfect for my messed up knees. The problem is finding a class in my area that is not geared toward people 65 and older. No offense to our super seniors, we all get there eventualy. But I was looking for something a little more aggressive.

Edited by Zoomy

Don't expect aggressiveness out of Tai Chi. It's considered a martial art and in fact has combat applications and forms, but if you want something more physical you should divert to Wu Shu. Tai Chi will enhance your body balance, increase your strength, will help you walking straighter among other benefits, even if in the class you have some veterans. Typically, my Tai Chi classes consist of a thorough warm-up, joint by joint, some stretching, and then working on the movements of the 24 form (Google Tai Chi 24). After that, some more stretching and different exercises that help with balance and leg strength.

It will definitely help you with your knees. Has helped with mine.

• 5 months later...

I hear so many good things about Tai Chi and thought it would be perfect for my messed up knees. The problem is finding a class in my area that is not geared toward people 65 and older. No offense to our super seniors, we all get there eventualy. But I was looking for something a little more aggressive.

See if you can find a school affiliated with the Plum Blossom International Federation-they teach the martial aspects of Tai Chi really well, along with the Choy Li Fut style of Kung fu. You can go full contact with CLF, or do Push Hands, our Tai Chi combative.

• 4 weeks later...

I was considering yoga to help improve my balance and agility when shooting. I never thought much of tai chi but there is a class at my gym. This makes me pretty curious. Could someone break down how tai chi would help and how might it compare to yoga as an excercise? How do you incorporate it into a standard weightlifting routine? I workout 6 days a week, every other day is a leg/cardio day. What muscles and activities does tai chi focus on?