Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli discrepancy on 1oz vs 1 1/8 ounce shot for m2

flstef

Getting into 3 gun and just ordered my Benelli m2 21 inch.

Want to stock up on ammo and get conflicting info straight from benelli themselves.

Benelli states the following on their website under 'About' "The Inertia Driven® system allows the M2 to digest nearly any 12 gauge cartridge, from 2-3/4" target loads to the heaviest 3" magnums."

Yet click on 'specs' and you get the fine print reading: "Minimum Recommended Load: Use 3-dram, 1-1/8-oz. loads in all Benelli 12-ga. semi-auto shotguns"

And even under the M2 tactical same specs as above but About states: "The M2 Tactical fires all 1 oz. or heavier 2¾" and 3" loads"

Would definitely appreciate any input on 1 ounce vs 1 1/8 ounce loads in your experience!

Thanks!

For what it is worth, the M2 manual gives the InertiaDrive requirements in terms of muzzle energy (although in goofy units, badly translated from the Italian). I converted that into something more meaningful for my own edification. According to the manual, a 1oz load with a muzzle velocity of about 1080fps would be sufficient to cycle the gun. By my quick calculations, then, a 7/8oz load would need to do 1150fps to cycle the gun.

CJW

For what it is worth, the M2 manual gives the InertiaDrive requirements in terms of muzzle energy (although in goofy units, badly translated from the Italian). I converted that into something more meaningful for my own edification. According to the manual, a 1oz load with a muzzle velocity of about 1080fps would be sufficient to cycle the gun. By my quick calculations, then, a 7/8oz load would need to do 1150fps to cycle the gun.

CJW

Thanks CJW! Thats very helpful!

A better idea would be call Tony @ Velocity Shooters (859) 333-3612 and send the gun to him. He will "Salientize" it. Then you will have the best 3Gun shotgun know to man for Tactical. Also, you can join "TEAM SALIENT."

post-25587-002483900 1295974833_thumb.jp

A better idea would be call Tony @ Velocity Shooters (859) 333-3612 and send the gun to him. He will "Salientize" it. Then you will have the best 3Gun shotgun know to man for Tactical. Also, you can join "TEAM SALIENT."

Just looked up some info and also saw your comment on the write up on the Salient m2 at three gun nations website! Looks great! Highly considering doing this. How does the ghost load get to where it needs to be?

Take you bolt out, send it to Benny Hill and ask him to do a bolt lightening job. And at the same time you can get an extra round on the lifter. Had mine done and it shoots anything I put into it.

Are you referring to the 'ghost' load I am reading about?

Just looked up some info and also saw your comment on the write up on the Salient m2 at three gun nations website! Looks great! Highly considering doing this. How does the ghost load get to where it needs to be?

To "ghost" load it you load the magtube, pull bolt back drop a shell on the carrier, manually put a round in the chamber, hold the lifter down until the bolt closes. Now you have you magtube loaded, one on the lifter below the bolt, and one in the chamber.

Once I got my new "Salient" I took it out for a speed test. 10 rounds in 1.92 seconds with .32 seconds for the first shot. I had to look at the timer three times to confirm it caught all 10 rounds. I could not believe it myself.

.16 splits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My JP 1187 could never have done that!!!!

There is no maintance, it's a Benelli! LOL, only kidding. I just picked my Salient up from my FFL after my 10 day gun jail wait. Yes, California sucks. I am very impressed. Tony is great to work with. Mine took a little longer to get with the holidays, plus Tony said Pop Tart was using mine for the picture on Taran's FB page, LOL! I actually bought mine after shooting Chivas's, fast, very fast. It does kick more than my Remington 1100CM, but it was starting to have issues, all the time. Putting the Williams Slugger Fire Sights on it tonight. Changed the recoil pad, to a shorter one, put the 3 gun gear side saddle, diffuser choke in it. Plan to sight it in on Saturday and test fire it, and be ready for the NCPS Thanksgiving 3 Gun Rematch on Sunday.

There is no maintance, it's a Benelli! LOL, only kidding. I just picked my Salient up from my FFL after my 10 day gun jail wait. Yes, California sucks. I am very impressed. Tony is great to work with. Mine took a little longer to get with the holidays, plus Tony said Pop Tart was using mine for the picture on Taran's FB page, LOL! I actually bought mine after shooting Chivas's, fast, very fast. It does kick more than my Remington 1100CM, but it was starting to have issues, all the time. Putting the Williams Slugger Fire Sights on it tonight. Changed the recoil pad, to a shorter one, put the 3 gun gear side saddle, diffuser choke in it. Plan to sight it in on Saturday and test fire it, and be ready for the NCPS Thanksgiving 3 Gun Rematch on Sunday.

What was having issues? Stock m2? or your Remington?

Thats amazing! Im sold! Any more information you are willing to share is greatly appreciated. How long did it take? How much did you pay? Whats your maintenence routine on it?

I removed the bolt, sent it to Benny. He had it about 2 weeks. Can't remember the exact price, but somewhere around $120-140 comes to mind. Maintenance like any gun, keep it clean and lubed.

I can post pictures if Benny allows it. Here's his web site... Benny Hill

Thats amazing! Im sold! Any more information you are willing to share is greatly appreciated. How long did it take? How much did you pay? Whats your maintenence routine on it?

I ordered my Salient directly from Tony at Velocity Shooters and he actually had one on the self. I do not know how much they are charging for modifications to a stock M2. You will have to call him. (859) 333-3612. As for maintenance, I clean it after every use. Most people do not do this. I have heard people go 6 to 7 match without cleaning. That is just how I am.

With the new mossberg 930's myself & jerry use's , jerry, not me can ger .011 splits. No benelli can keep up with that speed w/o the hammer following.

I thought this was a Benelli thread. Hahahaha!!! That sounds great Benny. One of my friends just ordered one of your 930's in open. I am interested to see it.

I removed the bolt, sent it to Benny. He had it about 2 weeks.

I sent my bolt to Benny, my carrier to Jeff C. (C-RUMS) and did everything else I wanted to it while I waited for their return.

Not counting slugs of course, I've never fired anything through it but the cheap Federal stuff, 100 round bulk packs from Wal-Mart.

Mark, couldnt find much on the website, if you are allowed please post a few fotos. Thanks

Just go to Benny's web site, get his email or phone and contact him. If he replies to this thread as OK, then I will...Don't want to give out his work without his blessing.

Go for it. I don't hide anything except my shooting skills.

Here are pic of the M2 modified bolt...Thanks for the work Benny...it runs flawlessly...shot or slugs...and I can get a ghost load in for 10 rounds.

1 Before mod...And 3 After...

post-15700-084384300 1296153935_thumb.jp

post-15700-033745300 1296153960_thumb.jp

post-15700-084712700 1296153967_thumb.jp

post-15700-012596000 1296154006_thumb.jp

Edited by Mark R