Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb question about 9mm for production class

G17fan

Hello everyone, I have search and have found that not all the information I am looking for is easily found. Here is what I would like to ask:

I am going to start reloading and this is what I will be running:

9mm 124gr

Where do I find:

- OAL

- best powder(s)

- is 124gr better than 115gr?

I apologize is some of this has been covered before but I just spent a hour searching and could not find specific info for the above... alot of this with that but I am looking for specific as this will be the beginning on a "new" relationship with my press.

Again, thank you for any info you can provide :D

just so you know it is production division.

class is based on your proficiency within a division, so you can be A class production...or D class limited...or in IDPA, marksman class in the Custom Defensive Pistol Division.

okay...whewie!! got that out of the way now.

I think the conventional wisdom on this forum is to use a fast powder with a heavy bullet.

so a lot of guys here would probably recommend TiteGroup (aka " TG " ) powder with a 147 grain bullet.

what length you can actually seat them out to will most likely vary on your gun's chamber and your mags.

butttt...somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.12" to 1.13" is about right.

of course, common sense wise should tell you to make up about 10 dummy rounds (no live primer and no powder) to see how they fit in your mags and gun's chamber before you really start cranking out ammo.

Hello everyone, I have search and have found that not all the information I am looking for is easily found. Here is what I would like to ask:

I am going to start reloading and this is what I will be running:

9mm 124gr

Where do I find:

- OAL

- best powder(s)

- is 124gr better than 115gr?

I apologize is some of this has been covered before but I just spent a hour searching and could not find specific info for the above... alot of this with that but I am looking for specific as this will be the beginning on a "new" relationship with my press.

Again, thank you for any info you can provide :D

Welcome to reloading!! :cheers:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

That's a good start for the popular powders production shooters use and reference other reloading guides.

The reloading manuals and benosverse are guides, reloading is an art in itself. Research and study the reloading manuals and try different components, find what you like then stick to it.(Provided it's a safe load) There's no perfect load one size fits all... IMHO

Chronograph the load and document your accuracy results and "recipes"

I personally use 231, clays and titegroup a lot and bullets between 125 - 147 Moly or JHP

I've learned to be flexible, due to varying degrees of availability of components.

Enjoy!

- OAL - find out what the greatest OAL YOUR gun (barrel) will take for THE PARTICULAR BULLET and the gun;

- go with powders suited to bullet weight (hint - heavier bullet means slower burning powder);

- 124gr IS better than 115gr in MOST guns.

Sorry for not being specific; you DO need to do your homework, over and over...

You do need to find out what works for YOU (and your gun)!!

- OAL - find out what the greatest OAL YOUR gun (barrel) will take for THE PARTICULAR BULLET and the gun;

I would just like to add to this statement. I can load out to SAAMI specs on a 124gn bullet in my CZ SP01 ( 1.169" ), however, after spending a lot of time behind the chrono, I've found different powders and different loads will be more accurate at different OAL's. I just wanted to add my two cents.

What i am talking about:

I loaded Zero 124FMJ(which actually weigh 125gn) with both TiteGroup and Vit N320

TG - 4.3gn, 1.150 OAL proved most accurate

N320 - 4.3gn, 1.140 OAL proved most accurate

FWIW, I've drank the Kool-Aid and have switched over to N320 exclusively. You have to compare them side by side, but all I can say is the 320 just feels better. To give you an anaology, recoil with the TG feels like catching a baseball in a mitt on the palm. 320 feels like catching the same ball, in the webbing.

What i am talking about:

I loaded Zero 124FMJ(which actually weigh 125gn) with both TiteGroup and Vit N320

FWIW, I've drank the Kool-Aid and have switched over to N320 exclusively. You have to compare them side by side, but all I can say is the 320 just feels better. To give you an anaology, recoil with the TG feels like catching a baseball in a mitt on the palm. 320 feels like catching the same ball, in the webbing.

I hope it does somthing for close to double the price..lol

Edited by sdm74

What i am talking about:

Buy in bulk with a group and you can get a good rate at Powder Valley. So not double the price. Plus, if you divide the cost of a jug by the cost per bullet, you might be paying 1 cent more per bullet. I'd rather pay the extra for a better shooting bullet.

Buy in bulk with a group and you can get a good rate at Powder Valley. So not double the price. Plus, if you divide the cost of a jug by the cost per bullet, you might be paying 1 cent more per bullet. I'd rather pay the extra for a better shooting bullet.

I don't understand. How much discount do you get? Listed on powder valley website 4# n320 is $90. The 8# TG is $104

And the max load for n320 is. .03 higher then TG max with a 147grn bullet. So how does that work out to a "penny" more ? Just trying to figure out the math.

Edited by sdm74