Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CTR-02 or the JP15 upper

ktyler

I am going to buy a JP upper for my AR. What is the functional difference between the CTR and the JP 15? Is there any difference in handling or accuracy? Is it worth the extra money or am I just paying for the Trijicon rail and fancy upper reciever?

All constructive comments are welcomed.

Ktyler

I may have been scarred for life by basic training, but my meticulously clean M-16 required the use of the forward assist far too often. I went with JP-15 for this reason. I think George has a CTR-02, and can sing its praises.

I did this same mental dance last November before I bought my upper. I decided that for what I wanted it for the JP-15 was the way to go. I called and talked to John Paul for quite awhile and in the end was convinced that the JP-15 upper was the way to go, for me at least.

The JP-15 has far more accuracy potential than I am capable of wringing out of it (for now). For the 3-gun game the JP-15 has way more accuracy potential than is necessary. I have shot .75 MOA 5 shot groups with my JP-15 upper (over an Oly lower, JP trigger, etc) and I am not that great a rifle shot...yet.

I don't use a Trijicon so the integrated mount didn't play into the decision.

Will I get a CTR-02 someday? Oh heck yes. But it won't be because my JP-15 isn't good enough. It will be pure, unadulterated gun lust. :D

I bought the JP-15 upper last fall, reasoning that spending the price difference on ammo, would be the way to go. I'm really impressed by the quality. Having seen a friend's CTR-02, if money was no object I'd own one, especially since the ACOG is my optic of choice, but since money is an object....

Just curious, how much difference would there be between buying a jp-15 upper and slapping it on my own lower, versus buyin a whole JP-15 or CTR-02 rifle?

Howdy,

Love my CTR-02, just put a JP TA01 ACOG on it (the one with the CTR-02 trajectory mapped reticle), and love how low it sit's in the ACOG interface slot and would probably not be as happy if I had a JP-15 and had to raise the ACOG with an adapter. The way I figure it, if you are gonna' spend the bucks for an ACOG, the difference in cost for the CTR-02 upper is worth it to get the low mount position. The JP TA01 trajectory mapped reticle should work well enough with an adapter raising it up a little, but because it is calibrated for the CTR-02 rail height without an adapter it won't be perfect, and if I am gonna' spend that type of bucks on a sight, I want it all perfect.

A JP or a CTR upper are both gonna work the same for 3gun, absolutely fine. The choice is all in the details you are looking for. BTW, I got my CTR-02 upper when they were first introduced and were just called the "Competition" upper (if it had a SN on it, it would probably be a single digit). I paid just under 1k at that time. I am feeling like I kinda lucked out a little there, but I would still pay the extra if I had to do it all over again.

I have never needed, or missed the Forward Assist on my CTR-02, and have also never needed the FA's on my other uppers. If your ammo sucessfully "drop" gauges (in a gauge that actually resembles "Your" chamber) and your chamber isn't getting crudded up with carbon blow-by (if you are getting a carbonized chamber then something is wrong), and you don't have a roughly finished chamber (it should be satin smooth), then you should never need a forward assist. IMHO, a forward assist is a band-aid for another problem that should be corrected, not compensated for.

BTW, I heard somewhere that the FA is not actually designed for chambering re-calcitrant rounds, but for help chambering quietly by letting the bolt forward slowly with the charging handle, and then fully seating the round and locking the bolt with the forward assist.

--

Regards,

Just curious, how much difference would there be between buying a jp-15 upper and slapping it on my own lower, versus buyin a whole JP-15 or CTR-02 rifle?

If you get a JP trigger installed in your lower, then it is pretty much the same thing, minus the niceties like the hogged out magwell and the little cuts in the lower receiver sides for oddball accessory mounting. In fact, because I am in California, my CTR-02 upper is mounted on an old Eagle EA-15 lower with a JP trigger group and some other niceties (Sierra Systems adj. butt pad and Ergo Grip). Works just fine. I had JP Rifles do the trigger install with oversize pins and it really rocks! Gave him a lower and a handfull of cash at the 2002 3 gun nationals, and got back a complete rifle in 10 days. Amazing!

You can use a JP upper with any (compatible front pin) lower and trigger group as long as the upper has the steel bolt carrier. But if you get a JP upper with the alloy Low Mass bolt carrier, you have to use the JP hammer assembly to keep from damaging the bolt carrier.

--

Regards,