Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 - Removing live primers from feed tube

Hi,

I'm a newbie here... just finished loading my first batch of ammo. Don't ask why, but I have a number of cases that have had the primer replaced, but still need the remainder of the process performed to complete.

I want to remove all of the live primers from the primer tube, so I can load up these partly prepared cases, without wasting primers.

Any instructions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Todd.

I just raise the platform a bit and then just thumb the Primer Indexing Arm until all the extra primers are fed down the primer chute. Just be careful, the primers like to jump right off the end of the primer chute (which is why it's called the ski jump) you can cut the finger off a rubber glove to slip over the chute, this will catch any that jump off.

Another thing you might want to do if you're feeding primed cases through the press is to remove the decapping assembly from station 1 or you'll be depriming a live primer. (which is never a good thing)

-Steve

Edited by sthone

IT sounds like you could just remove the decapping assembly from station 1,and leave the primers in the machine but stop them from advancing ,by removing the primer advancing device ,the black plastic piece with one bolt on the right front of the frame.

Just so that you would have all the options covered - empty the spent primer bin, then proceed as usual... the live primers will be pushed out and collect there, and you then will be able to reuse them. Just don't jerk the handle - something you should not be doing anyway.

Do it the easy way... just take the primer out of the rotary disc as it comes into the priming station and then insert your cartridge that needs the primer reseated. Reseat the primer, let the machine advance that cartridge to the next station, pull the next primer out of the rotary disc and insert the next cartridge that needs the primer reseated and so on and so on. No sense in pulling all of the primers in the tube if you only need to massage several cartridges.

Pat

If you just want to stop it from spitting out primers for a bit, loop a ziptie over the index arm and the metal bracket the failsafe rod rides in.

If you don't have any zipties don't admit that here, just remove the socket head cap screw holding the black primer index cam on the frame and that will do it too.