Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preparing for SS nationals

lppd4

I hate to admit it but I don't really know what to pratice on. Do drills exist that I can do that I can easily quantify the results? ie.. see where I need the most improvement, what my strengths are etc. I used to shoot PPC it was very easy to see improvemnent because you had a score at the end of your session. IPSC not as easy. Any advice?

Rob Leatham's Drillmasters club is taking memberships only through the end of January. In each drill you can compare your scores to Rob's which are often shot in single stack, plus he gives a write up on how he shoots the drill and his thoughts on it. At the price (I think $30) it's a bargain, plus I hear Rob's pretty good at shooting SS.

A lot of the courses are field courses, and whatever practice you do for a typical match will work.

Other kind of "different things"-

There is a standards stage that will start at 25 yards. You need to be able get good hits relatively quickly at 25 yards, maybe just standing, maybe around a bianchi barrier.

You need to be able to shoot strong hand/weak hand fairly well, but I have never seen it go beyond 7-10yards (but who knows maybe this year it will).

There is a dark house, maybe slightly lit, maybe you have a flashlight. Bring some clear glasses if you currently use tinted ones.

Seems like there is always an unloaded table start.

Seems like a lot of no shoots relative to other matches I shoot, but then I don't get out of state much...

From what I've heard, work on shot accuracy, smooth clean reloads and movement. I keep hearing there aren't many tricks at the SS Nats, just a straight up shooting match. best shot wins.

The above is seems accurate to me, really good fundamentals...

Historically, there is a dark house which does not require a reload. So clear glasses will help. Chrono has been next to it.

There is usually a stage where you run up steps into a room and shoot through a window or two.

There is usually a standards stage.

There is one or two stages that require a reload, then strong or weak hand.

Swingers are not of the A2 type. They are reasonable.

If you are from out west then there are no real field courses requiring 32 rounds and running 30 - 40 yards. Most multiple array stages have the next shooting spots requiring only seven or eight steps before moving on.

Most stages will have two reloads.

Accuracy counts! This can not be stressed enough.

Understand your ability to call your shots. Some/most stages look simple, no mind games. But there are No Shoots and Hard Cover, it is easy to blow by a target and hit the No Shoot. This is definitely not a run and gun match.

Last year they had an all steel stage. Great stage but if you do not watch the how the poppers fall and what is behind them it will cost you. Extra shoots on steel will cost you, which means if you do not confirm your sight picture you might end up paying a price for it in extra time.

Sometimes there are shooting on the move opportunities within a stage or two. But mostly shoot reload move, shoot move reload.

If your fundamentals are solid and practice them, you will do fine. I think what I noticed is that if you only move to the spot you need to see the target and be ready to shot when you get there your score will improve.

In the past there has been no silly stuff, like shoot the entire stage in a squat, low ports, or lay down on the grown.