Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun - rifle sights or ghost rings faster?

chainring

I'm just considering 3-gun. I have and am accustomed to my Mossberg 590A1. It has factory-installed ghost ring rear and compatible front site (wings and all). Trying for speed while still hitting the target, I believe that the ghost ring set up is an impediment to both. Experienced views? Do I get rid of the ghost assembly? Replace with what?

No doubt this has been covered, but I couldn't find it. In addition to that most basic of FNG mistakes, this may be in the wrong area - but I couldn't find one that seemed more appropriate! So bear with me....

I'm interested in the Benelli Tactical, since Salient seems to be gobbling up all the 21 inch M2 Field models and I can't spend $2000 or wait 6 months! It appears that, with a plus 3 extension flush with the 18.5 inch barrel, the Tac will have an 8+1 capacity - plenty for me.

So, the question becomes: which model?

Specifically for me, the version with receiver and barrel mounted LPA Ghost ring sights, or the version with low profile, barrel-mounted "rifle sights?"

Like this:

BenelliM2RifleSights.jpg

BenelliM2LPA.jpg

It seems to me that the "rifle sights" would be faster in a 3-gun setting. Obviously the big dogs seem to be doing fine with a vent rib and a bit of fiber optic. What is the general consensus about speed of ghost rings versus rifle sights?

Thanks for your patience, time, and advice.

I find Ghost rings faster than rifle irons because with the Ghost you don't have to worry about the rear sight you just look for the front sight and shoot. With rifle irons they are up ont he reciever and are usually small and made more for precision shooting than speed. They are also very easy to knock out of adjustment in rough handling. Seen that issue a lot with our work 870's that did not have Ghost rings. Of course a vent rib with a fiber optic is the fastest.

pat

I'm partial to rifle sighted barrels, but run the Ashley Express sights -- as they are faster for me than traditional post and notch rifle sights...

Nik and Snertley,

Are your Ashley Express sights like the new Remington XS "low profile rifle sights" or is the rear adjustable?

I have the Rem XS sights on my new 870 Police. They're fast up close but a little harder from me to get precision shots with on longer slug shots.

How do your express sights do on longer slug shots?

Any tips for using them on the slug shots?

Think if I picked up a Remington rifle sighted barrel it would be just as fast up close as the express sights but with a little more precision on the slug shots?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Mifune326