Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much time did you gain?

sdm74

Just setup my 650 the past weekend and shot 30 test rounds yesterday. The lite recoil is amazing in 9mm and I can't wait to shoot these in a match coming from wwb 115 grn. How much time did you pick up when you started shooting reloads?

Suprised to hear a few people saying that loading to just over (or at) PF didn't help their splits. It helped mine. Maybe the recoil on 9mm is so light already that it doesn't make a difference there, but in my .45, my split speed and transitions significantly improved. There would be no other reason to load lighter than factory if no improvement was noticed and reloading would be a cost-only incentive.

So am I...maybe they forgot what factory ammo was like..I know iv shoot with wwb 115 grn for the past year and a half. Keepin that muzzle down is much easier on the few test loads I shot all the way from 3.2 to 3.5 grn with titegroup and a 147 bullet so I now somewhere in the middle must be at pf. I hope to chrono some rounds this week.

Suprised to hear a few people saying that loading to just over (or at) PF didn't help their splits. It helped mine. Maybe the recoil on 9mm is so light already that it doesn't make a difference there, but in my .45, my split speed and transitions significantly improved. There would be no other reason to load lighter than factory if no improvement was noticed and reloading would be a cost-only incentive.

Factory 9mm isn't much over PF, I've chronoed some that barely made it. 45 is usually a different story.

I think the biggest thing that helps the shooter progress when they start reloading is . that they have made a commitment to step up to the next level. = You made an investment in your self , so you give more of yourself to the shooting.

dry.gif Na, what am I thinking = its all in the power factor

There's really not much difference in 9mm. .40 or .45 are different, but even then, it's only a small amount of time saved. In many ways I think shooting the softer ammo simply makes it easier to shoot the same or similar splits...you might save a thousandth or two, you just don't have to work as hard. There's probably more difference if you were comparing shooting off balance, but not many folks (guilty) have probably ever tried comparing the two. R,

I recently started reloading .40 and .45 and noticed a difference between WWB and my reloads, especially with the .45. No idea what it equates to in time, but definitely more fun and enjoyable to shoot!

Id say shooting somthing like "steel challenge" where you can load down to 120pf I believe,

your sure to be able to get on the next plate quicker over factory ammo

No PF requirement in SC, but they do recommend a minimum for stop plate function. I don't think you're sure to save time in transition if you go from something like a 140PF load to 120PF (common factory 9 PFs) because the flip isn't that much to start with, and the instant the shot breaks, you're moving to the next target anyway. If you were to go from 200PF to 120PF (or something like that), then you'd probably see savings on the clock. R,

As far as "gains due to reloading"

I would have to say that it was more of a confidence factor that fueled a willingness to push myself faster and harder with confidence that the equipment and ammo were "the best I could make them" remember most of this is in your head..be it USPSA, IDPA or Bullseye shooting

as far as going to the range and timing splits etc. that's harder to quantify I think given the differences in ammo and guns probably a difference that is hard to measure..

Reliability notwithstanding ..ammo is moving slower ( thus lower PF ) slide is moving slower, ( Newtonian Law) but recoil is more controlled so your followup is quicker and dwell time diminishes depending on the shooter it could be a "wash" or a gain.. but when you add in wide spread target arrays running between 3 shooting boxes etc. there are larger gains to make time wise vs. an ammo/gun choice so I will stay with the statement..

The biggest gain is in confidence that the gun/ammo combination is "the best you can make it" so you worry less and shoot more aggressively focusing on the mental rather than the "equipment"

One advantage I always had over my brother was when we showed up to a match was I knew my equipment was set up that it would always out perform me so I didn't worry about it....it was more reliable and accurate due in part to the care of my reloading...

John