Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun advice

wmiller11

Well after reading many similar posts I thought I would seek group therapy on which shotgun to use/ buy new fir 3 GUN.

This will be the first go around for me into 3 gun and currently come from a hunting background. Consequently I have hunting length shotguns. I am looking for advice as to which to use/ modify.

BENELLI VINCI --4 rd cap that CANNOT be extended due to atf ban

Or Winchester 1300 that I can get an ext mag tube

Im pretty much tapped on gun purchases that the wife will allow this year after ordering my JP15 :). Im comfortable with doing extra reloads on the vinci just looking for thoughts one way or the other

Lot of answers to that question. Short version is you'll see mostly FN SLPs, followed by a mix of others. Mossberg suppossed to come out with a shotgun ready for 3 gun for not much money.

My advice, save your money (wife would be happier), and shoot what you got for the first year (or 2 like me), then you'll know what you want.

edit: Oh, welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Edited by Kyle O

Get the tube and shoot the 1300. Starting out that will save you 5 seconds right off the bat.

While I just switched from 1100s to an SLP, and I think it is pretty darn good, the dominant shotgun is still the Benelli in terms of numbers. Benelli probably had 90% (followed by Remington and almost nothing else) or more of the 3gun market as few as 4 years ago. The SLP could overtake it in a few years if Mossberg does not get something out pretty quick that is in line with what some of the top guys have told them, but probably not. I'd recomend an SLP today, but SHOT is next week, so that could change.

Well I started kind of like you dry.gif wanted to be conservative. Your going to do it sooner or latter any way, so get used to the idea of selling off some unused toys aka guns to get a good / The best shotgun

The M2 is fun to shoot. or the M1 has some great buys used .

Oh but don't go the 4 rounds and load = or you will kick your self.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Yea was thinking the 1300 was the way to go. Its a 26 barrel is it worth it to have a gunsmith cut it down a few inches or just deal with until I strong arm the lady into another shotgun?

Getting capacity is OK, but I would put any extra money to the side for what your gonna REALLY want 6mos or a year down the road. Most important thing is to get out there, and shoot. Barrel length I'd leave alone, unless this is gonna be THE 3 gun shotgun.

My .02

Shotgun choice is going to change some in the next year or so, will be more choices. Shoot the 1300 for a while, just put a tube on it and shoot it like it is. It won't be the shotgun you wind up with but it will get you out there. Shoot some matches and watch what happens with other guns for a while, maybe by the time you can afford a better gun there will be a lot more to choose from.----------Larry

Shotgun choice is going to change some in the next year or so, will be more choices. Shoot the 1300 for a while, just put a tube on it and shoot it like it is. It won't be the shotgun you wind up with but it will get you out there. Shoot some matches and watch what happens with other guns for a while, maybe by the time you can afford a better gun there will be a lot more to choose from.----------Larry

+1 Mr Larry is a sharp guy . I run a 24" gun and I don't give up any thing measurable. Don't spend a nickel to cut your barrel down, even if it comes out of the family laundry budget

Edited by AlamoShooter