Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical open gun life?

Pro2AInPA

Would a higher rockwell hardness like what's found on SV frames & slides be a factor in longevity? I have a sight tracker with almost 100k rounds through it. It's hardchromed but the only things that wore were springs and a Ti firing pin. Gun is as tight as ducks but in every way. I think having a frame & slide of twice the hardness from the get go and having a very well fit gun put together makes all the difference.

like G-man Bart's I had one crack directly even withthe breechface on the left side(opposite of ejection portside) had that one welded up, continued to shoot it, then got it to crack up under the extractor tunnel, and the original crack/weld broke again and i decided to hang that slide up....approx. round count??? upwards of 100k... btw in case anyone wonders it was a SA custom shop single stack 38 super(yes it was before dots an hi-caps)

Is it fair to say that the slide is most stressed at the point after ignition where the slide is trying to go one way and the comp is pulling the barrel the other way? Maybe this explains the cracks around the ejection port.

the comp doesnt pull anything while the barrel still has pressure in it. the gun is still locked up and it is the case pushing on the slide.

55000 PSI cracks slides.

back in the day, a fellow shooter sent off some of his ammo to HP White labs...this was when very few were loading 115's very short and with either 231??? w-540...his loads came back in the 50,000 range, and his gun went thru a lot of rounds as i recall, no undue primer issues(we were running rifle primers, but normal length firing pins)