Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weigand Barrel Fixture

RBros

How many of you guys that fit barrels use the Weigand fixture and a mill? Just curious if its a better way to go over using the Wilson lug cutter style and a file.

Is this the fixture you are talking about?:

Bf1911.gif

If so, I don't have one, but I believe this fixture is used more for cutting the hood length and width. Cutting the lower lug is probably best done with the Wilson cutter (however, I don't like the fact that only two cutters are available for it).

D

That is the old style fixture. The new one allows you to pivot the fixture when cutting the lower lugs so that the link/slide stop radius is cut. Just looks like a more precise way of doing it than with a lug cutter is all. Seems like the lug cutter gets a guy 95% of the way, then you start after it will a file for final fitting is all.

That is the old style fixture. The new one allows you to pivot the fixture when cutting the lower lugs so that the link/slide stop radius is cut. Just looks like a more precise way of doing it than with a lug cutter is all. Seems like the lug cutter gets a guy 95% of the way, then you start after it will a file for final fitting is all.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at it. I agree...most of the time there was still quite a bit of work after using the Wilson cutter.

Have you ever seen those AGI videos where the dude uses pin gages to figure out exactly how much to cut off, but then he uses a Wilson lug cutter (which, as I mentioned, only has two cutter sizes)? What are the chances of one of those two cutters being within a thou or two of the measure amount to be removed? Yeah right.

D

If so, I don't have one, but I believe this fixture is used more for cutting the hood length and width. Cutting the lower lug is probably best done with the Wilson cutter (however, I don't like the fact that only two cutters are available for it).

I much prefer using a mill to cut the lower lugs. I also know a very respected gunsmith who cuts the lower lugs on a surface grinder.

IMO, the Wilson is a great tool for the backyard gunsmith that doesn't have access to a machine shop.

Sorry guys....

I should have posted the information I sent to Darren for all to see. My bad.

When I bought my digital read out, I looked all over for a dealer. Mike at candomachinery.com really helped me out a lot. He went above and beyond. I think I damaged my x-axis reader during my move, and I lost my receipt--which I never do, but it went MIA on me. I called Mike because it was under warranty, but I was afraid he was going to pull the "no receipt, no warranty" bullshit on me. Instead, he e-mailed me a copy of my receipt, gave his contact in Shaumburg that repairs these things (Milton at Heindenham--probably not spelled right), and he put me into contact with one of his employees before so doing to try and trouble shoot the problem over the phone. I sent the reader in and they fixed it free of charge. That level of service impressed me. Mike is the guy that can help with advice on how to get DRO's on these different machines. I know because I have spoken with a lot of people (before running into Mike) that didn't know anything about the product they sell....let alone how to install one.

Installing one of these DRO's has been difficult for me because I'm pretty new at this stuff, but if I can do it, I'm sure you can too.

I also told Darren that Rutland Tool had Accu rite DRO's on sale for 495 bucks which is half of what I paid. It also has the backlash adjustment so it really shouldn't matter how loose your table is. I'm very happy with it.

Best of luck.

I couldn't find it either. I did a search for digital read out and got 8 pages. Then when I clicked on page 2 it said 982 pages. ??????

I'd give them a call. I saw it in one of their catalogues and it was for the VUE model.

I couldn't find it either. I did a search for digital read out and got 8 pages. Then when I clicked on page 2 it said 982 pages. ??????

I'd give them a call. I saw it in one of their catalogues and it was for the VUE model.

Was this a 2 or 3 axis DRO for $495?

I was looking and ran into the same 982 page thing :surprise: Anyways...thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a call soon...got some Christmas money I need to spend and I've been spending way too much time counting hand wheel rotations lately