Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L Open Gun

With the portted barrel I couldn't get the gun to run completely flat. But with the carver, it took a little more gas to get it flat, I don't think u can go wrong with either barrel, just happen to get a great deal on the Kkm barrel used, the dot I was using is a DP 7.5

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I'm really reaching back a bit. 1.5 yrs have passed. I'm working on a slightly different project. I need a "blank" comp for an M&P 9mm. Would love one that would match the contour of the slide, but that isn't really required. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I am also looking at turning my MP-9-Pro into an inexpensive casual uspsa open pistol (minor). My main use is at local matches to spend time with my sons, so speed and scoring is not the issue, fun is! I am currently using it in production division, but as the eyes change I need to switch over to a red-dot soon. I have a solid rail mount for by burris, so I don't have to play with the stock sights. I was looking at either the storm-lake ported barrel vs the carver comp. I run factory 9mm ammo, usually 124gr. I am leaning towards the carver setup with an 11lb spring. It does cost a little bit more than just the ported barrel, but I do like the look and from the posts here the ported barrel was not as effective. It will also be quick to switch it back to stock for the occasional idpa match. Are there other options, or does this seem like a solid plan for my use?

Edited by fdc1999

I am also looking at turning my MP-9-Pro into an inexpensive casual uspsa open pistol (minor). My main use is at local matches to spend time with my sons, so speed and scoring is not the issue, fun is! I am currently using it in production division, but as the eyes change I need to switch over to a red-dot soon. I have a solid rail mount for by burris, so I don't have to play with the stock sights. I was looking at either the storm-lake ported barrel vs the carver comp. I run factory 9mm ammo, usually 124gr. I am leaning towards the carver setup with an 11lb spring. It does cost a little bit more than just the ported barrel, but I do like the look and from the posts here the ported barrel was not as effective. It will also be quick to switch it back to stock for the occasional idpa match. Are there other options, or does this seem like a solid plan for my use?

It's not very quick and easy to switch barrels once the comp is in place. You need to use red loctite or something similar to keep the comp in place and it's a pain to remove it once it's set.

Well, I figured that since I started this thread that I'd jump back in. I had both shoulders surgically repaired and am now getting signed off for pretty much anything want to do, shooting wise. I've also gotten 2 years older and at 73, don't expect to compete with the kids. My 2 open M&P's are still being modified and enhanced so everything is a work in process. There are a dozen GM's and M's who've shot both of these guns and have been positively surprised at how they handle. I had one GM shoot the major gun with loads that had been verified at 173 - 175 PF who kept insisting that they had to be minor loads.

Here is what's been developing:-

Comps: We've experimented with Carver and Jager. I know the Jager doesn't match the slide but we're most interested in performance. The comp that works best with the loads that I use, is the Jager with the first two ports combined. The gun shoots flat and the dot never leaves your field of vision. That's with major or minor loads in the 9L and in the FS. The Major load is MG 124JHP, Federal SPP, 6.8-6.9 AutoComp, 1.165 OAL. That consistently is a 173 - 174 PF. The Minor load is MG 147CMJ, Federal SPP, 4.7 Autocomp, 1.115-1.117 OAL and is a 130-132 PF. I've tried various factory loads and have concluded that they don't run the comp. You need gas and AutoComp does a great job. It's temperature insensitive which is also nice. You really need to work with your gun and your loads to come up with what works best for you.

Barrels: My major gun runs a Storm Lake threaded barrel and the FS has a S&W factory threaded barrel. I've tried the Storm Lake ported barrel and haven't been happy with it.

RDS. I like the DeltaPoint but whatever you have or like should do just fine if it'll stand up to the beating it'll take being slide mounted. I have well over 25K major and another 5K + minor through my 9L and the sight is fine. Right now we're in the process of machining the slide to direct mount the RDS. The first gun we're experimenting with is the FS and it seems to be doing well. The 9L is next. As an aside, Unity Tactical in Louisiana is now machining M&P and Glock Slides for RDS's.

Wear and tear. So far the minor gun hasn't needed anything replaced. We just replaced the APEX Trigger and the Trigger Bar Assembly, Striker Assembly, and the Slide Stop Assembly. I've also replaced the magazine springs for the Taylor Freelance +10 Extensions.

Scott at Apex Tactical has done much of the work and is a pleasure to work with.

It's not very quick and easy to switch barrels once the comp is in place. You need to use red loctite or something similar to keep the comp in place and it's a pain to remove it once it's set.

+1. You need a good set screw and dimple in the barrel as well as the Red Loctite

Would it stay in place using blue loctite for a match of 150 rounds of factory ammo? I rarely shoot in more than 1 match per month, so even if I need to reapply the blue before each match is no problem at all. Remember, I am looking for good-enough for a low end D class :)

Would it stay in place using blue loctite for a match of 150 rounds of factory ammo? I rarely shoot in more than 1 match per month, so even if I need to reapply the blue before each match is no problem at all. Remember, I am looking for good-enough for a low end D class :)

I suspect that blue loctite by itself would not be sufficient. If you did as 70116 suggested with a set screw/dimple, you might be able to get by if you're shooting minor loads. But I have no experience with trying that.

I found that Red Loctite wouldn't do the job without a set screw.

Go shoot the equivalent of a 24 round stage and feel the end of the barrel right away. Blue doesn't even need heat and the vibration alone will loosen it .

I just checked some times of mine (and I'm a D) and 24 round stages, which don't require a mag change are usually in the 15-16 second range, depending on how much movement there is.

Edited by 70116

Has anyone tried the new 4 port carver comp yet? If so what do you think of it? It seems that the 3 port was only designed with minor loads in mind and the 4 port is for Major.

I switched to the 4 port when it first became available. However, I couldn't really tell much difference between the two.