Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Apex reset is mushy

kasen

I know the Apex parts have been discussed several times but I haven't found anything definitive about the trigger reset. I installed the full kit from Midway, Apex Competition kit, into my M&P 9mm and the trigger reset is considerably more mushy than it was before.

Has anyone found a solution for improving this? I've only put about 150 rounds through the gun since the install. There were a couple instances where I swear the trigger DID NOT actually reset. I pulled the trigger, no bang (or striker actuation), released the trigger, pulled again and it fired... Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by kasen

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed the RAM and the reset has a definite click WHEN it actually resets. The Apex trigger spring doesn't seem to have enough pull to reset the trigger with the RAM. Is there a fix for this or should I just replace the Apex trigger spring with the factory trigger spring?!? :angry2:

Too much friction for the light trigger spring, is what it sounds like. I just bend the trigger bar, but if I bend it too much i get the same thing. Too much friction and the reset is sluggish. With the trigger bar I just "unbend" it a little. Look at how the Ram works and see if you can lighten the spring tension.

Also try polishing the tail of the trigger bar and take off the rough edges. I did another M&P last night (yet another borrowed gun from a friend) and it had a mushy reset too. The trigger pull was gritty and that was my first clue. The tail of the trigger bar (under the "loop") was rubbing the sear housing in a bad way.

I did not like the feel of the Apex trigger spring - no feedback either with or without the ram,plus the safety notch in the trigger would touch the frame slightly and create a "bump in the trigger". I have the entire apex system installed with the exception of the trigger spring (leave the factory one in) on all 3 M&Ps that I own and absolutely love the feel now.

Agreed 100% with cslafrain. I have this EXACT same setup in both my M&P's. EVERYTHING apex except the trigger spring - A 9Pro and a 9FS. With the apex trigger spring I felt like the trigger was almost sluggish to reset and that I didn't have as positive contact with my finger.

- Woody

I did not like the feel of the Apex trigger spring - no feedback either with or without the ram,plus the safety notch in the trigger would touch the frame slightly and create a "bump in the trigger". I have the entire apex system installed with the exception of the trigger spring (leave the factory one in) on all 3 M&Ps that I own and absolutely love the feel now.

Edited by Ictwoody

Replaced the Apex with the factory trigger spring and the reset is now occurring consistently. There is a fair amount of friction within the trigger mechanism. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Where is the friction occurring? At the break point or in the entire travel. You may need to Polish the trigger bar where it contacts the sear and the firing pin block. Let me know if it helps or we can try something different.

There's a chance that the trigger bar is rubbing against the side of the RAM. And by using the stock return spring you are just overiding the friction. I have the apex comp kit in my 40 pro and RAM. I have no issues with slow trigger return or trigger feel. I would advise maybe taking a sharpie to the trigger bar and the RAM and then putting everything back together and then do a bunch of trigger pull and then see where the marker has rubbed off. this would give you an idea if you need to polish or perhaps bend the trigger bar to release that friction on the RAM.,

Hope that helps,

Nate

Where is the friction occurring? At the break point or in the entire travel. You may need to Polish the trigger bar where it contacts the sear and the firing pin block. Let me know if it helps or we can try something different.

The entire travel. It's not the trigger bar, it's the actual trigger assembly...

kasen

So what you're saying is if you pulled your rear block out of the gun and left the trigger assembly and trigger bar fully intact, that you would still have binding or friction? If so, I would look at your trigger pin and see if it is bent some how or if there is something binding the the trigger itself like debris or no lube or something to that affect.

Or take out the trigger assembly and run the pin through it and make sure there is sufficient clearance in the holes for the trigger to move freely on the pin. maybe the holes were undersize from the factory??

How many rounds are on the gun? Is there a chance it needs more break-in? I wouldn't think so because I installed my comp kit in mine before ever firing a shot.

Nate

kasen

So what you're saying is if you pulled your rear block out of the gun and left the trigger assembly and trigger bar fully intact, that you would still have binding or friction? If so, I would look at your trigger pin and see if it is bent some how or if there is something binding the the trigger itself like debris or no lube or something to that affect.

Or take out the trigger assembly and run the pin through it and make sure there is sufficient clearance in the holes for the trigger to move freely on the pin. maybe the holes were undersize from the factory??

How many rounds are on the gun? Is there a chance it needs more break-in? I wouldn't think so because I installed my comp kit in mine before ever firing a shot.

Nate

I pulled apart the trigger mechanism, gently pulled the slide release arms outward and lubed the trigger pin. Works fine now. I might have been a little too rough on the trigger pin during the first reassembly. Anyway, now the gun with Apex upgrades (minus trigger spring) functions perfectly. :cheers: