Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

isometric tension for fingers and wrist

js82

Hi. I'm a newbie and I use a steyr m9-a1.

Is the gripping force applied on a pistol with the hands supposed to be isometric such that it doesn't exert a lot of squeezing tension on the gun, or is it supposed to be concentric such that if the gun suddenly disappeared the hands would close into a fist? I feel like I've had better luck with the former. I've read through some posts on the internet and keep seeing the word "vise" but I haven't seen anybody talk about the tension in the fingers being isometric.

Thanks in advance.

I think I need to restate my question. BTW, sorry, I just realized that I started this topic in the wrong section.

Should one grip their gun such that if the gun magically disappeared out of their hands there'll still be a gap left in their hand where the gun used to be, or should the hand become a fist? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be continuously squeezing the gun or whether I should just form a platform of sorts for the gun to sit in.

If my grip was around an egg, I would not be looking to crush the egg...just grip it firmly.

It's difficult to articulate a question about my own grip, but,

So you're suggesting to "hold" the gun firmly as opposed to "grip" the gun? The grip emphasis being on "hold" rather than "squeezing" the grip with either hand? I'm asking because I have been exploring a change that seems to be evolving in my grip.

If you were gripping a hammer ready to use and it magically disappeared out of your hands will there still be a gap left in your hands where the Hammer used to be, or should the hand become a fist?

Edited by George Post

the hammer analogy is not that good.

sorry, but when was the last time you saw somebody swing a hammer with both hands?

my left hand is there squeezing my right hand into the gun. I want my right hand not so tensed up that it interferes with my trigger pull.

like others have said here it is like a 60/40 or 70/30 split.

I'm not asking how hard to grip the gun though. But from the hammer question and word "squeezing" I guess that means the force applied by my fingers should be a constant press rather than a hold. Funny thing is that the sight seems to track up and down more consistently when I don't squeeze. Gotta experiment some more I guess.

Thanks for the answers.

If you were gripping a hammer ready to use and it magically disappeared out of your hands will there still be a gap left in your hands where the Hammer used to be, or should the hand become a fist?

I think this was in one of the Maku Mozo e-mails last week? :wacko: