Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Magazine Spring Pic

B.H.M.

Can someone who has a Limited that runs well post a couple pics of their magazine spring/follower setup? Im looking to see the angle of the follower and if you tilt the follower to the right like Henning suggests on his site.

I am really struggling with my new Limited. I shot it in my first match today with terrible results. With just over a 1000 rounds through it, it just will not feed. I started with factory ammo, that didnt work (all over the place with a lot of nose dives and even some bullets hitting the top of the barrel). So I bought a Dillon and started loading new Starline Brass with Zero FMJ bullets (flat nose) out to 1.2, still at least one nose dive per magazine.

I am using 5 of Hennings 21 rounds mags. I have tried the feed lips as narrow as .385 up to .40, it doesnt seem to matter. The rounds do not stack up very well in the magazine. After about 5 rounds in the mag the bullets start to spread apart (hope that makes sense).

Pretty frustrated at this point in time. Did I screw up and buy the wrong gun? My only experience is shooting my Glock 34 for production and my Springfield 1911 which both eat anything.

Thoughts or suggestions? What am I doing wrong here?

BMH,

Do you have the same problem with the factory mag? Does the follower move smoothly through the mag body? And have you looked at the mag spring?

My utmost recommendation is to call Henning? So far he has assisted me through all my issues. Now this thing shoots like a bullseye gun and is as reliable as a revolver.

My initial issue was the mags would fall out of the gun after 4 or 5 rounds. The other place to call for specific advice is Canyon Creek. You will find them in the vendor area of the forum. Both provide great assistance.

Witness pistols are great for what they cost, but require work up front to get them in match trim. The trip is a little rough but well worth the effort.

Best Wishes

JW

The factory mag had issues right out of the box. I purchased 4 of Hennings ready-to-go 21 round Competition Mags along with a Grams spring and follower for my factory mag. They all seem to work about the same. I have yet to see one that works better or worse. I have not had any issues with the mags falling out. The bodies are clean and follower seems to move freely...

The problem is not the spring or follower, its the brass. You need to resize the WHOLE case down to .415 using an EGW U-Die and pushing the brass completely through it. I created the below thread for this issue and how to solve it. Follow it exactly and your feeding issues will be solved.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76873

I didnt think I would have to do that with NEW brass. I have followed your posts and have a cheap Lee single stage press ready and waiting for Henning to get the U Dies back in stock. I just find it hard to believe I have to go through that step as well... Seems crazy that to make a gun run correctly or even close you have to take perfectly good new brass and resize it. Am I alone in thinking that is not normal?

It's funny and I guess I'm lucky. I don't re-size like CHA-LEE recommends, with a gizmo, nor use new brass. All my .40 brass is once to many times fired, loaded on a Dillon 550 with Lee Dies, and feed reliably every time, with completely full mags or partially full, doesn't matter. I'm using 10mm mags and .40 mags, loading 180 TC molys to 1.18 OAL. I know the mags had been fooled with when I bought the gun (bought it used) as I can see someone took pliers to the top and squeezed some (left impressions in the metal).

I totally agree with 10mm junkie. Henning is the best and will spend much time with you over the phone giving you suggestions on what to try next. These guns are awesome (when they work), it still surprises me to this day when even factory ammo doesn't feed reliably.

Lastly, this will be painful (dealing with EAA), but you can call EAA and only talk about that it won't feed with factory ammo out of factory mags. That should not happen. Painful because their smith's have zero personality but if you can keep your problem in just one direction "maybe" they can help out.

Good luck

B.H.M> Yes its odd to have to resize the brass before using it, but it is what it is. If you want it to work 100% reliable then my solution works. The mag design is what causes the rounds to stack up funky.

All I can tell you is that I have been undersizing my brass for over 50,000 rounds now and have had ZERO nose dive failures. I regularly load my mags to 20 or 21 rounds as well.

Pick your poison. Don't undersize the whole case and deal with the random nose dive jams. Or spend extra time to undersize the whole case and not have jams.

Thanks for all the info. I have a Tanfo Match in .40 with no Mag problems (180g fp moly lead, 1.180 OAL). I also shoot a Gold Team 38s V12. Has anyone had success with the EGW U-DIE with 38 super?