Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST and Berry's Plated

Notsobrt

Oh wise ones,

Fairly new to reloading but things have gone well so far. Just made my 3000th round last night. Switched from Clay's to WST because my one custom gun (being pretty tight) wasn't cycling real well (especially if it got a little dirty) on 4.0 of Clays. So here's my questions.

Using Berry's plated 230 grn RN, WST 4.5, 1.255", CCI 300, mixed brass through 5" barrels. Chrono unknown.

1. With Berry's being plated should I be using lead data? I have seen some comments that Berry's recommends "low to midrange jacketed data". At 4.5 I'm at the midrange for jacketed data. Does this sound legit? I don't want to get into pressure issues obviously. I found one old website showing 4.5 WST under 230 LRN at 20,100 CUP. Still legit but getting up there.

2. Anyone else have issues with a few flakes of WST falling off the top of the powder bar with every stroke of the reloader? I did only 175 rds last night and I had a light dusting of powder around the front left of the reloader when I was done. Kinda lame. I didn't have that with Clay's due to the bigger flakes.

I really liked Clay's- alot- but I just need something with a little more oomph to reliably cycle tight guns. With the restriction of Berry's plated bullets- ie working at "midrange for FMJ" I'm at the maxload again for the round. Obviously there are some easy fixes here in changing springs, changing bullets and loading hotter but I'm trying to work with what I have.

I haven't used WST, but your 4.5 load is at or near the upper range for lead and that powder. You shouldn't have a problem finding lead loads for WST (if nothing else, go to the Winchester/Hodgdon web site), just do a bit of research and pick up a loading manual or two.

Oh wise ones,

Fairly new to reloading but things have gone well so far. Just made my 3000th round last night. Switched from Clay's to WST because my one custom gun (being pretty tight) wasn't cycling real well (especially if it got a little dirty) on 4.0 of Clays. So here's my questions.

Using Berry's plated 230 grn RN, WST 4.5, 1.255", CCI 300, mixed brass through 5" barrels. Chrono unknown.

1. With Berry's being plated should I be using lead data? I have seen some comments that Berry's recommends "low to midrange jacketed data". At 4.5 I'm at the midrange for jacketed data. Does this sound legit? I don't want to get into pressure issues obviously. I found one old website showing 4.5 WST under 230 LRN at 20,100 CUP. Still legit but getting up there.

2. Anyone else have issues with a few flakes of WST falling off the top of the powder bar with every stroke of the reloader? I did only 175 rds last night and I had a light dusting of powder around the front left of the reloader when I was done. Kinda lame. I didn't have that with Clay's due to the bigger flakes.

I really liked Clay's- alot- but I just need something with a little more oomph to reliably cycle tight guns. With the restriction of Berry's plated bullets- ie working at "midrange for FMJ" I'm at the maxload again for the round. Obviously there are some easy fixes here in changing springs, changing bullets and loading hotter but I'm trying to work with what I have.

From http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Hodgon's 2011 load data shows a starting load of 4.0gr WST with a 230gr LRN at 1.200" OAL making 776 FPS at 14,300 CUP. The maximum load is 4.3gr.

I don't reload WST or Clays so I'm afraid I can't help with question number two.

I hope this helps!

Haven't loaded Berry's with WST yet but I always use lead data with plated bullets. I have ran a whole bunch of lead 200 grain SWC's, in .45, 147's in 9mm, and 180's in .40 with WST. It's my favorite lead bullet powder. And yes, I get the dribble from the powder measure on my 650, but WST shoots so soft I keep using it. I just bought another 8 lb jug, that will make 16lbs most of it 3.5 grains at a time (9mm). :blink:

I don't use Berrry's but I load lots of 200 gr Precisions with WST and those take 4.7gr @1.22 for a 168 pf load for USPSA Major shot out of a Caspian w/5" barrel. So your 230gr Berry will take less powder, I'd do a start load at around 4.0gr. You can estimate WST by taking .1 gr off of 231, they are similar. For loads beyond 170pf I would recommend Universal Clays for that 220pf Deer Hunting Round.

Thanks guys. Great info. I shoulda clarified- I have several books and I've been to the Win/Hodgdon website several times- coulda saved you guys some typing had I mentioned that!

Since the Springer likes a bit stronger load I'm probably going to end up around 4.5 ("midrange for FMJ rounds" per Berry's website) but I'll probably start low and work up. I'm most concerned with CUP getting too high. 32dgrz did you see any signs of high pressures at 4.6? I'm assuming not, or you wouldn't be loading it.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks guys. Great info. I shoulda clarified- I have several books and I've been to the Win/Hodgdon website several times- coulda saved you guys some typing had I mentioned that!

Since the Springer likes a bit stronger load I'm probably going to end up around 4.5 ("midrange for FMJ rounds" per Berry's website) but I'll probably start low and work up. I'm most concerned with CUP getting too high. 32dgrz did you see any signs of high pressures at 4.6? I'm assuming not, or you wouldn't be loading it.

Thanks again guys.

No

Edited by 32dgrz

• 7 months later...

this is an old post, but i thought i would add my finding. I tested the full range with 230g RN Berry plated with WST, and came with the max load, 4.9 being the best, most accurate, softest shooting, and right around 785FPS out of my full size M&P. No pressure signs, bullets holding together great, overall very good load, but work up to it in your gun as this is what works best in mine.

• 1 month later...

Oh wise ones,

I have found that for the same powder charge and bullet weight the plated bullet will provide significantly lower velocity compared to the lead. I use WST in a Dillon 550 and have not noticed any powder leaking around the powder bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can add to this now.....These are 230gr Extremz which are slightly slower than the Berrys plated (at least in 40sw they are).

I chrono'd these yesterday in about 60degree weather....all thru a 5" TRP Operator

WST, 230gr Extremz plated, and 1.260

Charge WGT 4.5 4.7 4.9

FPS 720.74 748.61 787.73

ES 91 73 33

PF 165.77 172.18 181.18

Not sure why the ES values decrease with charge volumn...gonna set up at 4.8gr for winter and then verify as the temperature rises in the spring/summer.

I like it so far over W231....it pushes rather than snaps.

also ran some WWB 230gr factory loads thru 2 guns......5"trp and a 4" cdp.

5"trp

811.2 fps

PF 187

4"cdp

781.15 fps

PF 179.63

art