Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The stock SA Trophy Match magwell

YamaLink

Half of the pics show a TM with aftermarket magwell. Rest show the stock magwell. Part of the lure to the TM is the fact you don't have to spend $75 for a S&A magwell (or similar).

Do you run stock magwell or other (presumably everyone swaps out the ILS)?

Ah, I was thinking shooters were swapping out the ILS with http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27082/Product/1911_AUTO_MAINSPRING_HOUSING_REBUILD_KIT and stick in a 17lb or 19lb and slap the stock magwell back in.

Thanks.

On the tm the stock magwell is part of the ils. That said I replace it with a sa if you like the small magwells. I end up putting techwells on mine though.

Edited by YamaLink

It's not mine. A friend will be using his for SSTK and CDP.

I left mine stock. For what I use mine for, (just for paper punching or occasional action pistol shoot) the stock MSH/well works fine.

What do you use your pistol for?

I have a Dawson Ice on one gun, and a small style Ed Brown on the other. I can't tell any legitimate difference in reloading them both.

If I had a gun with no magwell on it and I was picking a magwell today, I'd use the Dawson Ice...but if the gun already had the S&A style on it, I'd just run that.

A magwell doesn't help anywhere near as much on a single stack as it might think. A bobbled reload is still a bobbled reload, with or without a magwell.

(I would know--I bobble a lot of them still)

Big magwells turn somewhat bobbled reloads into what appear to be good reloads and bad reloads into ones that won't totally kill your stage. I ran a standard S&A for years...I have two Techwell XT's now, and may try a Dawson ICE just for comparison's sake. Come to think of it, I still have two guns with S&A magwells on them...both pretty much retired. Nothing can save a total flub...

Edited by G-ManBart

Big magwells turn somewhat bobbled reloads into what appear to be good reloads and bad reloads into ones that won't totally kill your stage. I ran a standard S&A for years...I have two Techwell XT's now, and may try a Dawson ICE just for comparison's sake. Come to think of it, I still have two guns with S&A magwells on them...both pretty much retired. Nothing can save a total flub...

I haven't played with the ICE long enough on my 1911 to be sure (although I have one on my limited gun)...

But I doubt that a bobbled reload with one magwell wouldn't be with the other. The "miss factor" on a single stack reload isn't very far...and extending it with a bigger magwell really doesn't offer much.

I do think a magwell that goes all the way around like the no-gap Dawson gives you a bit more smudge room, but methinks if you've gone that far, that reload is history anyway.

Then again, the first 3 years I shot this game, I didn't have ANY magwell, so perhaps complaining about one that isn't big enough is hard after that....

I agree with G-man... I ran the stock mag well on my trp operator all of last year in L10.

I spent lots of hours working on my reload technic and got preaty descent..

A switched guns for the western states single stack match, and started playing with the Dawson ice...

The main thing that I have noticed about my reloads with this well is that now, after I finish a stage I don't remember having reloaded the gun..

Before with the s&a style magwell (which did help) I always remembered that pause where you visually make sure that the lips of the mag and back of the well are lined up...

I still do that pause but the bigger well makes the process smoother.. So much so for me that there's no recidual footprint of the reload at the end of the stage...

The gapless Dawson ice and the base pads made for it work really nice together. So much so that I've put my techwell xt aside for a while :)

Just remember your still putting a square stick in a square hole practice makes it faster, a bigger magwell makes it not look so bad when you screw up :roflol:. Also I like the bigger magwells for the grip anchor it provides.

A lot has to do with the fit of the S&A style as well. I've seen some people like to "round" the edge rather than blend it together as a straight shot. This is how I did mine:

DSCI0031.jpg?t=1294292675

The one thing about the Dawson is that this doesn't matter. It goes all the way around, and the ICE insert is smooth as glass all the way into the frame of the gun.

If you're going to use the S&A style, it's critical that this edge be thoroughly blended, not merely rounded over to look like it's been fitted.

Don't be bashful. Make sure you blend it well enough to require cutting into the frame.

Edited by twodownzero

A lot has to do with the fit of the S&A style as well. I've seen some people like to "round" the edge rather than blend it together as a straight shot. This is how I did mine:

DSCI0031.jpg?t=1294292675

The one thing about the Dawson is that this doesn't matter. It goes all the way around, and the ICE insert is smooth as glass all the way into the frame of the gun.

If you're going to use the S&A style, it's critical that this edge be thoroughly blended, not merely rounded over to look like it's been fitted.

Don't be bashful. Make sure you blend it well enough to require cutting into the frame.

Good point, Which a would apply to any style magwell of any size :)

Good point, Which a would apply to any style mag well of any size :)

Not true. The Dawson is plug and play.

Not for me it wasn't :)

+1! It was "plug & play" for me too! I use the Dawson no-gap insert and requisite no-gap basepads. I can honestly say it gives me an edge over any other SS magwell I've tried. (I haven't tried the Techwell, yet) My reloads are faster...that's all I know.