Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 rifle Iron sights?

wksinatl

I shoot the .22 rifle OPEN division. It is a Nordic Component upper on a RRA lower with an Aimpoint. Is there anyone of you guys shooting .22 IRONS? If you are what rig are you shooting.

I'm mainly interested in some ideas on which iron sights you prefer. I will probably setup a 10/22 for this project.

thanks!

Keith

I have never shot iron sights in the Rimfire division but we have several at our club that do. Most of them use FO front sights with a standard rear. Actually, there is a guy that shoots with us that consistently has strings of 1.6 - 1.9 seconds with a 10/22 and iron sights on Smoke and Hope. His lowest score for that stage is somewhere around 6.4 seconds.

Let us know what you decide on...Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about it. However I built a rifle to shoot Ruger Rimfire and multi-gun rimfire events with and since the only Buckmark I had at the time was an open class gun I built the rifle for that also. Remington 597 with Archangel tactical conversion, Volquartsen THM carbon-fiber composite barrel w/comp, Jard 2# alloy trigger assembly, and 3 quick change optic packages including 3-9x40, 1.5-4.5x32, or red dot plus a mini red dot angled mount for closeup work. I have to do my own practice because there are no speed matches with rimfire rifles in my area as yet. Working on that with my club though.

I had this rifle for an Apple Seed project. I replaced the Tech sight rear aperture with a standard AR15 version. Using the largest hole works like a Ghost Ring sight. Flip it over to the smaller one and makes 75yd+ shots easier. Quick target acquisition is easy with this setup. By replacing the rear sight like this I loose the ability to adjust the rear sight for elevation....only windage now. BUT, I was able to adjust the front sight enough that all of my adjustments were not anissue.

The front sight has a standard AR15 post. I think a fiber optic post would be quicker to pick up. This was a simple modification that really worked out well.

We have the Georgia State SC match in 1.5 weeks and I thought about shooting it in the IRON division. I have decided to just shoot rimfire rifle OPEN only.

thanks,

Keith

RugerSteelIRON1Medium.jpg

RugerSteelIRONMedium.jpg

Edited by wksinatl

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen in the Rimfire Iron division in the Ruger Rimfire Series it is a S&W AR15-22 with mil-spec flip up sights is what won in 2010. That series would be a good mine for data for SC carbine rifle classes. I shoot a rifle in carbine open in both series based on a tactical conversion of a Rem 597.

I use a hi viz front sight with a standard 1022 in a hogue stock. I also remove the plate in the factory rear sight to speed up aquisition. I find that the field of vision works great like this with a vision problem I am having . I also use the largest fiber optic rod available.