Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling Bullets

JimmyZip

I don't know how, but my press was throwing a grain higher than normal on my last session of reloading. I noticed it after loading 500 rounds of .40. I have forever changed the way that I load as a result. Checking more often is now a must. Always start a loading session with a check of your throw weight. This will save you a lot of frustration.

I'm the only one that goes into my reloading shed, but even if it's just day after I loaded some rounds, I still check the drop on the first ten....

I once bought a bunch of badly loaded 38S cartridges (1,500 to be exact) at a bargain basement price (IIRC, it was $65), thinking I could pull the bullets, re-use them, the brass, and the primer. I pulled about 600 of them, the rest have been sitting in a box in the garage for the last 2 years. THERE IS NO BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICE when you have to pull them. You couldn't give them to me now.

My hand feels your pain.....

The benefits of being a newbie... I always start by checking, ALWAYS. I've heard way too many horror stories. Have a puller and a small stack started but don't yet know how to use the darn thing. I'm kinda slow ya know. May take someone showing me many, many times for me to figure it out. Maybe even multiple shooters, till I find THE proper technique... I'm a distant relative to Tom Sawyer if you haven't figured it out. :roflol:

I always check, and I faithfully try to visually check every round. So what went wrong, I was wizzing along on the XL650, bullet feeder rattling away, case feeder was barely keeping up, just stroking rounds out, 6 full primer tubes, about 200 rounds in I look and the charge is low, so I weigh it about 3 gr short, ok now slowly watching good, ok, good, oh crap nothing. That little blue nut at the end of the fail safe rod had worked its way lose! Darn I hate it when that happens. So GrumpyOne I got 200 to pull you up for it?

I actually weighed all of them and sorted them by head stamp. Since its 9 major with 7.7gr of pwr there is a good chance you can go by weight if you sort by head stamp. I found about 10 squibbs in the batch and the rest went into the practice only bucket. I pulled 30.

• 1 month later...

Just treated myself to a brandnew RCBS bullet puller yesterday.

Tried new powder and noticed the charge bar binding too late.

Since I don't know exactly when it occurred, and since I noticed the empty case in the bullet seating station, I figure that a bullet pulling cardio workout is in order. Bummer.