Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady AP, bullet & case feeder with powder check.

I got my press a few days before Christmas and still haven't set it up yet because I don't want to be bothered till I get my shell plates. The press is useless without the plates so setting it up without the shell plate isn't going to do me any good. I have three machine guns .45 ACP, 9 MM & 5.7 so those are the calibers I will probably reload the most.

I am particularly worried about Squibb firing full auto so I want to be sure to use the powder check but I could be wrong on this because I have been away from reloading for a few years but I don't think there are enough stations to have a powder check with the bullet & case feeder.

I am thinking of de-priming and priming all my shells first and running the primed cases through the case feeder.

The first question is am I correct that I need more than 5 stations to run a powder check with two feeders?

Or is the a way to run the machine with the two feeders without de-priming and priming the in a separate operation?

Midway has the case feeder is on backorder till 1/6/11 and the bullet feeder is on backorder till 2/10/11

Edited by silvercorvette

The Case feeder does not take up a station.

1. Size-deprime

2. expand/powder drop

3. powder cop

4. Bullet feed

5. seat/crimp.

I seat crimp all in one station, no problems. Some people say to do it separately though. If you want to do it separately, then youll have to size/deprime separately like you describe.

Edited by DWFAN

1) Size/deprime and prime

2) Drop powder and flare the case (using the two PTX options you have on the LnL).

3) Powder Check die.

4) Bullet Feeder die.

5) Seat and Crimp at the same time with a Seat/Crimp die.

Before you aske. LnL makes a PTX for the LnL and so does a guy not connected with Hornady. His PTX flares the case but is not caliber specific.

http://www.powderfunnels.com/

As far as the powder check itself goes, I highly recommend the RCBS lock out die, it's saved me a few times already.

Thanks I was going to get the order the Hornady powder check die. I ordered so much stuff I forgot about it so it wasn't too late to switch the the RCBS. I just got off the phone with Midway and it looks like a lot of the stuff on back order will be shipped tomorrow.

I should be able to have my machine running in a few days and do a small run of .45 ACP then wait for the bullet feeder on backorder till 2/10/11.

I have been away from reloading for so long I feel as if I have to learn everything all over again.

As far as the powder check itself goes, I highly recommend the RCBS lock out die, it's saved me a few times already.

Thanks I was going to get the order the Hornady powder check die. I ordered so much stuff I forgot about it so it wasn't too late to switch the the RCBS. I just got off the phone with Midway and it looks like a lot of the stuff on back order will be shipped tomorrow.

I should be able to have my machine running in a few days and do a small run of .45 ACP then wait for the bullet feeder on backorder till 2/10/11.

I have been away from reloading for so long I feel as if I have to learn everything all over again.

Great news. It's been a long time coming. If I haven't mentioned it.... Check the indexing carefully before you start loading. Pull the handle 10 times and each time check to be sure the shellplate has indexed into the required ball detent. It can be 95% but that 5% will be a issue. It's normally right from the factory but not every time. Very small adjustments are required to make the changes.