Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 leading too much

shepheard

I have a EAA Wittnes 40 cal that I was having a hell of a time with leading. I have been using Penn 165 match grade bullets. The load I found with the least leading was with AA#5. I decided to have the barrel slugged to make sure my bullets were sized right. The smith told me the inside of the barrel had scratches all the way down it going across the rifling. It looks like someone screwed a bolt down the barrel just a hair bigger in diamiter. This is most likely causing my leading issues. The gun shoots great (with jacketed bullets) and I know it doesn't have a match grade barrel, what would you expect for under 500. Does anyone know if there is a product like Tubbs Final Finish for handguns. Thanks much for any advise

Does your Witness have a Polygonal rifling in the barrel? If it does then it is well known that Lead and Polygonal barrels don't mix well. When you shoot lead through Polygonal barrels they lead fowl very quickly. Sure you can shoot lead through them but you will spend more time scrubbing the lead out than shooting it.

Does your Witness have a Polygonal rifling in the barrel? If it does then it is well known that Lead and Polygonal barrels don't mix well. When you shoot lead through Polygonal barrels they lead fowl very quickly. Sure you can shoot lead through them but you will spend more time scrubbing the lead out than shooting it.

Actually one of the benefits of polyganol rifling is said to be less build up of copper and lead fowling. There are different opinions on the subject. When talking about lead bullets I think it is important to distinguish between lead fowling and leading. The latter being where the lead build up is so severe that it effects accuracy and takes a lot of scrubbing to get out.

I haven't shot a jacketed bullet through my limited for the past 3 years. When the gun is clean and you shoot 50 rounds and inspect the bore, it does admittedly look leaded. BUT, the amount of lead doesn't seem to increase with the number of rounds. After 1200 rounds the barrel doesn't look worse nor has accuracy degraded. In my world that is lead fowling and not leading B)