Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun NOOB.

chefcs5

Chris, your going to be shooting Polo mostly, so run what you got for now and play with everybodies stuff at the range. You are more than welcome to use my mossy for the shotgun stages to see if you like it, and I have a red dot and a scoped AR that you can use on the rifle stages to see what you like. A couple of our group shoot the major 3gun matches and would gladly let you run their rifle/shotgun to check it. Don't open the check book until you know what you want and have played with it.

Magwell for the 34, 3G1 upper for the AR, a Donut of Death for the 3G1, your 870 or Nova +mag extension tube out to 8+1.

Shoot till you can't lift your arms.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Decide if anything needs updating or changing.

I've always been a big fan of "run what you brung." There will be plenty of time to spend a couple grand on an AR and a Shotgun, learn the game first.

Mac

a Donut of Death for the 3G1,

Remember there are no stupid questions. Now what is a Donut of Death?

Eotech Holosight or ACOG w/ donut reticle. I am pretty sure the reference here is to the ACOG though. The monicker is based on the reticle being a circle in a circle.

Chris, your going to be shooting Polo mostly, so run what you got for now and play with everybodies stuff at the range. You are more than welcome to use my mossy for the shotgun stages to see if you like it, and I have a red dot and a scoped AR that you can use on the rifle stages to see what you like. A couple of our group shoot the major 3gun matches and would gladly let you run their rifle/shotgun to check it. Don't open the check book until you know what you want and have played with it.

I'll be shooting some of those matches at POLO. Working on the AR now..got a variety of shotguns to choose from. I feel that I am actually faster loading off the belt with my Winchester 97 from my Cowboy Action Shooting background.

ok since I am an idiot I have another question that will get me in a you tube video im sure. Do you guys switch barrels between stages between slug and bird barrels? what if you have both on one stage?

ok since I am an idiot I have another question that will get me in a you tube video im sure. Do you guys switch barrels between stages between slug and bird barrels? what if you have both on one stage?

You are definately going in the shotgun video now. Switching barrels is not allowed in any division. You can shoot slugs through any choke. Most of us do so through a Light Modified or any less restrictive choke like a IC or Cyl. A lot of guys will put a rear sight on their gun to help with precision slug alignment.

You definately need to get to a match before you spend any money on a new shotgun. You will learn so much for the first 3-6 matches you won't know what you really want for quite some time.

Edited by jtischauser

You definately need to get to a match before you spend any money on a new shotgun. You will learn so much for the first 3-6 matches you won't know what you really want for quite some time.

Chris, these are words you should take to heart. Try before you buy.

I've yet to meet someone in this sport that wouldn't let you try their gear. Hell, most folks are thrilled to show off their toys.

Seriously, don't let that shopping bug get the better of you. Spend wisely, and here's your chance to do so.

Being from the frozen wasteland just to your north, I know how winter can cause the mind to run rampant thinking about shooting for the upcoming season. But definately listen to what Jesse said. After you are at a match or two you will look at things in a whole new light. I have made a few bad purchases of shooting equipment in the past that I attribute to nothing more than cabin fever in the heart of winter.

With that said; if you want to get ready for the upcoming 3 gun season. Buy a couple of shotgun caddies and practice reloading. Fast loading of the SG IMHO is the toughest part of this game, and the easiest to practice at home in the off season. Either make or have someone make some dummy rounds and practice reloading. Regardless of if you keep one of your SG's or buy a new one of whatever brand the loading will be the same for all tube fed guns.

Edited by caz41

You can't go wrong searching the calssifeds, gun broker, auction arms, etc for a used M1 in the offseason. I just picked up a nice 24" camo M1 for $699 this week. That thing will be better than the hot new Salient guns for under $1200 in a few weeks.

Your giving very good info!

I'm still laughing about that,, “I'm going to unleash myself on 3 gun” thing!

Personally I’m just trying to get back to the place I once was in 3 gun.