Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bull to Bushing

Mike Dame

Going to turn my old Para/STI Limited gun into a STI single stack. It has a bull barrel in it so I need to turn it down and cut the the para ramp to a clark ramp to fit the rangemaster frame. Never fit a bushing before so I'm not totaly sure what size to bring the outside barrel diameter to. Is there a set size or is it in relation to the inside diameter of the bushing.

Going to turn my old Para/STI Limited gun into a STI single stack. It has a bull barrel in it so I need to turn it down and cut the the para ramp to a clark ramp to fit the rangemaster frame. Never fit a bushing before so I'm not totaly sure what size to bring the outside barrel diameter to. Is there a set size or is it in relation to the inside diameter of the bushing.

I thought Para cut ramps were all Clark/Para cut?

For single stack, I'd do the exact opposite, buy the smallest diameter bushing and cut the barrel accordingly. There is no minimum weight, but there is a maximaum. Since you can't lighten the slide, haveing a lighter barrel will help. I like them light. An EGW gunsmith fit bushing would work too. You can also order specific sizes from them as well. Cheaper than the Briley.

Obviously these are just preferences. My bushing barrels average in the .578" OD range IIRC. I've got a Wilson drop-in right here that is .582 at the flare and .575 in the middle. The flare is from the muzzle, back .5".

Edited by want2race

Hello: You will have to cut the range master frame back and do some lightening on it. I have a 40 SS I made from a STI RAngemaster frame. I had to cut the dust cover back, open up under the grips and remove metal around the trigger gaurd. It is right at the maximum weight. I would buy another barrel and fit it to the frame. That way you won't have to worry about the lower lugs fitting and turning it down. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

My bushing barrels average in the .578" OD range IIRC. I've got a Wilson drop-in right here that is .582 at the flare and .575 in the middle. The flare is from the muzzle, back .5".

I thought the diameter was consistant, the barrel in my 9mm doesn't have a flare to it.

I want to use the bull, since its allready fit to the slide I'm going to use. The smith who did it screwed up and had to cut the back of the slide to blend into the frame. Hoping that by keeping the barrel I won't have to weld up the back of the slide.

way easier to cut the frame to fit, but not legal for me to bring the frame to work. So much easier to just buy a slide to frame fit and a new barrel, but wheres the fun in that.

Edited by Mike Dame

Fitting a new barrel to new slide and frame, the back of the slide usually hangs off the frame and has to be filed to match. The barrel is fit until IT'S right, not the frame to slide fit is right. Sometimes fitting a new barrel to existing frame and slide requires the same thing. Don't know your complete story on that one, but it's pretty normal.

Many barrels have a flare at the end. Not necessary, but many do.