Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cover from engaged targets

Ahab

Sirvyr, If IDPA is an International organization (as the name implies) with a Rule Book and Rules, why should I have to ask a "local" SO at a sanctioned match in "wherever" how their version of the IDPA Rules goes? Shouldn't the Rules be the same everywhere? Why should we have to learn the "local" rules,... "one bay at a time"... for an International organization with a Rule Book that is supposed to apply everywhere?

GOF,

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am just telling it like it is. I've experienced this at the Regional and National level for many years. Yes, the rules should be the same everywhere, but some SOs and MDs view this game very differently than you and I do. :rolleyes:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirveyr

Can't argue with "what is". It exists. Just noting "what should be". After three Nationals and a dozen State/Regionals. I've seen stuff that ranged from "pushing the rules"... to "ignoring the Rules".... and these were sanctioned matches that should have had COFs approved by HQ... or at the very least, the AC. My point is this... if IDPA is truly an International organization, then I should be able to attend a match in Italy, South Africa, Jamacia, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, California, etc.... and be called on a COF the same way at each locale. To have to ask the "local" SO, "How do ya'll do it here", is not in keeping with the scope and reach of IDPA, and is a reflection on how ambiguously the Rule Book is written. A Rule Book should be clearly written as to be enforced. It should not be so ambiguous as to be left up to the "local" SO/MD to have to interpret it. YMMV.

GOF

Edited by GOF

Agreed.

A little story:

We once had an international shooter visit a local club a week before the Nationals. He spoke very limited English. He was slightly confused when the SO told him to, "Gas it up, f*#ker." :lol: We can't even standardize the LAMR commands, so getting the rulebook standardized is...well...you know. I'm outta here before Duane shuts this one down. See ya.

Sirveyr,

I understand. The week after the 2008 Nationals we had two shooters from the Italian team (Marco & Luca) show up at one little out of the way Florida club for a IDPA match, which they found on the Internet on their way to shoot USPSA to the south of us. It was a vaction for them, and a one night stop over. Marco spoke English pretty well and did basic interpreter duties, Luca didn't speak any English. I was the SO on their squad. They were really good shooters (Luca ESP MA and Marco, I think was SSP EX), and really great people! I could talk to Marco, but my Italian was too rusty to communicate verbally with Luca.... it didn't matter. When he got on the line we were two shooters talking to each other via hand signals, questioning glances, and head nods. We both knew the Rule Book, and what was expected of each. We had a good, and very safe time. That's the way IDPA should be.

GOF

You just reload behind the cover you're already behind. There is no rules violation or contradiction there.

Yes, with all respect, you are seriously over-thinking this. :)

I think if you read all the threads in this post there is plenty of reason for questioning in certain situations.... I'm with GOF and Ahab- it's not as clear as some would like to believe.

• 4 months later...

I don't like the rule and think it should be changed. After targets are engaged they no longer exist for cover calls. I don't care if they are not neutralized. If you have 2 targets in a room and you fire 1 shot at each and miss them both you can stand in the middle of the room and reload with getting a procedural. 1) I don't want the SO to have to remember every place you did a reload, then as they score the targets decide if you need a procedural or not. 2) I don't like standing behind a wall doing a reload after I've put 3 center of mass hits in all the targets I'm hiding from.

I don't expect anything to change. Just my preference.

• 2 weeks later...