Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barricade dimensions

bradhe

I am going to build some new barricades for practice and need the exact dimensions. I have used the search function, but there seems to be some debate as to whether it is 1.5" angle iron or 2.0". Does anyone know for sure what material is used for the barricades at Columbia? Might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks

Brad

1 1/2" angle is best, face is made from 1/2" thick ply minimum.

We have some barricades here that are made from 1 1.2" box section with 1/2" ply and they are hard for some to manage. Many get used to the thin section of the angle iron to grasp.

Anything that is strong enough to withstand the weather and hard use is fine.

I watched Al measure the steel as 1/4" angle 2"x2".... Of course there have been too many beers since then to remember clearly, but that's the steel I ordered when the memory was much fresher.

One "mistake" we made in Bedford is that we added diagonal braces so that our barricades are rock solid. The ones in Columbia are just stuck into concrete with no bracing so they bounce around compared to ours...

One thing that is really key is how square and centered the barricades are relative to the targets. You have to be able to deal with the luck of the draw on that since each lane is going to be a little different.

If you want to duplicate the barricades at Bianchi, make sure they wobble like a drunken judge. But at least tehy are attached to the ground.

Some lean backwards a little, some lean forward. Don't forget to paint them black and leave them in the sun to burn all the skin off your hands for when you get an afternoon slot. :sight: