Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Almost a Darwin award

G-ManBart

I'm not sure if Darwin would laugh or cry at things like this.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101221/NEWS06/101221011/1001/rss01

Troopers: Napping Dearborn man shoots self on Ohio Turnpike

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SANDUSKY, Ohio — Ohio troopers say they believe it was an accident when a Michigan motorist shot himself on the Ohio Turnpike after parking with his family.

The State Highway Patrol says 30-year-old Mahmoud Ajaj of Dearborn was holding a gun while napping when the weapon fired just after 1:30 a.m. Monday.

Patrol investigator Sgt. Gregory Blake tells the Sandusky Register Ajaj said he had grown tired while driving his wife and two young children. He pulled over about 33 miles southeast of Toledo.

Ajaj told troopers the gun was for protection in case someone tried to rob them.

Blake says it appears he accidentally squeezed the trigger as he fell asleep, firing into his left leg.

Ajaj was treated at a Toledo hospital and then released. No charges have been filed.

Read more: Troopers: Napping Dearborn man shoots self on Ohio Turnpike | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101221/NEWS06/101221011/Troopers-Napping-Dearborn-man-shoots-self-on-Ohio-Turnpike#ixzz18l7e64qe

Now, I understand what and why Mr. Ajaj did what he did. I have done the stop at a Rest Area for a couple hours sleep when traveling with my wife and slept with a gun handy. Rest Areas can be strange places in the middle of the night.

However, that does not excuse Mr. Ajaj's failure to maintain the four basic rules of gun safety. Sleeping with the gun in hand and finger on the trigger is ... well ... asking for trouble.

Mrs. Ajaj's first question was probably "Honey what's wrong" to which Mr. Ajaj probably did not want to answer truthfully!