Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 45acp for USPSA?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I looked all over the revolver section and could not find what I am looking for. I know I want a 5" S&W revolver in 45acp for USPSA. It will not be for IDPA since I have a 646 for that and a 617 for steel. I am wondering what is the best model to buy? I am not in a hurry so I can look around for a while. I realize that it will need some work to make it better but wanted a starting platform. Model numbers etc. would be great. I appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I looked all over the revolver section and could not find what I am looking for. I know I want a 5" S&W revolver in 45acp for USPSA. It will not be for IDPA since I have a 646 for that and a 617 for steel. I am wondering what is the best model to buy? I am not in a hurry so I can look around for a while. I realize that it will need some work to make it better but wanted a starting platform. Model numbers etc. would be great. I appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks, Eric

For 140 and labor you can rebarrel whatever length you find to five inch. You might find the pin in frame models shoot a little faster, but the hammer mounted firing pins are more reliable IMHO at a given pull weight. Have you tried your 646 in USPSA yet? What was it like in Major?

Hello: I have shot my 646 in USPSA. It is a lttle hard on the hand and does not seem to reload as fast as the 45's I've seen. What I have found so far is the 25-2(Merlin's choice) and the 625-2. I have shot a 610 as well with the same loads I am using and the larger frame is better for the recoil for me. I plan on getting the revolver setup for USPSA. Keep the info coming. Thanks, Eric

Any 5" 625 (if possible, avoid the very first year's production guns marked 625-2 "Model of 1988") or 25-2 will serve perfectly for USPSA Revolver Division.

What don't you like or what have you found in those first year guns?