Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I sec reload, fire, after timer beep

twikster

I managed that a few times, back before the advent of mag well funnels. No real accuracy at that speed, fired as the mag slammed home, no reestablishment of the weak hand on the gun. What do guys do today? I've read that somehow the double stacks run faster than singles? don't see how that could be? P35 reloads nearly always suck, because it's so easy to twist the mag a bit, and hang up the insertion on a corner.

• 4 weeks later...

What you wrote does not surprise me in the least.

Have you taken the time to really look at the form of a double stack mag compared to a single? I have yet to see a single stack mag that has any taper, most double stacks do.

Add a LARGE magwell to a tapered mag and I will bet against you every time!

Try stuffing a 2"x4"X4' into a 2"x4" hole. Then give yourself 5 minutes with a good pocket knife to whittle the last 12"'s of the end down and try it again, it will go in like it had eyes.

I started out shooting l-10 with a single stack. I got down to 1.25 second shot to shot reloads if I did everything really well, and I could do 1.5 second shot to shot pretty consistently on the clock. I got a 2011 style limited gun built last year and shot l-10 with it. My reloads are just as fast with little or no effort put into it, and zero practice. To stay fast with single stack reloads, I had to practice regularly. If I practiced regularly now, I'm sure I would outperform my best days using a single stack on a regular basis.

I do a lot of single stack shooting. To shoot an A, reload, and shot another A at 23 yards, my best reloads are in the 1.5 range with the average being around 1.8. That is just practice not training to push the time lower. Some of my training stages are brutal, long distances with hard cover and no shoots everywhere.

My double stack reloads are typically faster and smoother.

When I practice with live ammo, I spend a lot of time reviewing the clock. I look at each split, transition, draw and reload in relation to the distance and diffuculty of the shooting. For dry fire practice, I work on smooth reloads between targets that are 8-10 yards apart.

Unfortunately I do not practice reloads on the move per se, if I am moving from one shooting area to another, I try and ensure my mag is dropped while/before I am taking the first step and complete the reload with a step and half.

I am kind of the mind, that I try and shoot As with a reload in the middle. Your shot before the relaod should be an A and your shot after the reload should be an A. If you are just trying to go fast and not be accurate, you might be developing what Mike Seeklander calls a training scar. That is a technique which produces either an inconsistent result or a miss.