Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another STI Edge question

STInky

Hey Folks...Me again.....After having a bad performance out of my Edge at a match this past Saturday, I sat down a few minutes ago to clean it up. (Got my Slide-Glide in today also!!) While inspecting the barrel, I noticed that the link did not move freely throughout the entire range of motion. When it reaches the forward postion (parallel with the barrel), it has a catch in it....like it actually snaps in to a locked postion. I have never noticed this on any of my other pistols, and I'm not sure if this is normal for a STI Bull Barrel or not. Maybe this could explain some of my Fail To Feed problems over the weekend ????

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions so far on my other questions. I'm really not as "green" as it may appear, but this STI is a whole different ball game from the other guns I have.

STInky,

I've had this problem several times. I never could pin any jamming problems on it but as a perfectionist I just can't stand for something to work differently than it once did. Most of the time it is dirt that has wedged itself between the link and the foot. Try spraying gun scrubber in the foot to get it loose. It could also be that the link or foot has a burr on it. Inspect the link and foot for this burr and then take the link out. If it's on the link a couple of passes on fine sandpaper usually does the trick. If it's on the foot gently use a file to remove it.

I find that if I take care to have the link positioned against the barrel upon disassembly the barrel comes out of the slide alot easier and the link doesn't get banged up.

Kevin

The link will never swing that far when the pistol is working. But, look at the forward portion of the barrel feet and see if there is any peening there. The guide rod head could be banging against the barrel feet causing some peening which would cause the link to stick when you swing it that far up. The back of the guide rod head would show some marks on it too. I doubt that any of this would cause your jams though.