Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After action report on SALIENT shotguns!

kurtm

I am going to mount the Williams Fire Sights for the shotgun. Mounts right on the rib at rear and front. Ran them on my Remington 1100CM for 7 years. Excellent sight, adjustable for slugs, very visible, about $30.00.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I can say I struggled with my FN SLP. I'm not a weakling, but the weight of the FN made it hard to load weak hand so I pretty much gave up before I started. I also never did any mods to my lifter or loading port. My thumb would be pretty chewed up trying to weak hand load.

Well I tried it for the first time tonight with my Salient Benelli and WOWWWW!

First of the all the gun is light and points more naturally for me than my FN. After trying some weak hand reload a few times, I no longer felt like a complete retard. The gun is EASY to hold on the shoulder and with about three or four practice runs, I could shoot, reload 8 and shoot again in just under 10 seconds.....and this is just the first time I have tried this!

I know I'll never break the 5 second par time that Tyler talked about, but I REALLY like this gun!

I was a little worried about spending this kind of cash on a gun that I never got to handle based on some internet recommendations (although they were from trustworthy folk). I really didn't want to be unhappy with my new shotgun and have to convince myself that I had to liked it because I spent so much money on it. BTW, if you can find a used one from someone who just didn't like it.....GET IT!

I am very happy to pay what I did for this shotgun. However, I am sure than many of you know quality gunsmiths who do great work and can make a shotgun run like this one as well.

Now, the light weight of this gun has me rethinking the weight of my AR. I have a JP CTR-02, but I wonder if I could be a little faster using a lighter weight profile barrel and going with a Troy TRX Extreme, Troy VTAC, or carbon fiber Rail and getting something lighter than my PRS stock. However, I'll bet the increased recoil signature might slow down speed on quick follow up shots. Sorry to digress.

Anyway, I'll get plenty of chance to practice with mine before BRM3G and I HIGHLY recommend this shotgun. If you want one, I would call Tony at Velocity Shooters and see if he has a waiting list, or start searching cyberspace for an M2 Field to send to him.

Update: I ran it in my first 3 Gun match today and it was flawless. It was 22 degrees during the first stage and warmed up to 40 by the end of the day. I let my friend shoot it as well and he was equally impressed. It mounts perfectly for me and the trigger pull is short, smooth, and not too light.

Edited by DMAC

I want! Wonder what lead times are these days? Calling Tony tomorrow...well, maybe Tuesday since it's a holiday. Nah, I'm going to try him tomorrow!

Tony told me there would be no more until April 2011, due to there not being enough M2 around until then. I just barely got in on the latest build. But, please get in touch with him, he's great to deal with.

Tony is great to work with. Spoke with him Thursday when he told me mine is on its way.

He did say that he was going to the Shot Show, so reaching him may be a little hard this week.

I did ask him to get me an autographed picture of my Salient, that Pop Tart Sprinkle was posing with

on her Face Book Page, I wish it was mine, LOL!

He always answered my emails. If you can't reach him by phone, I would try that. I would order one right away,

because after the Shot Show I'm sure they will have even more orders.

These shotguns are top of the line. I looked at Chivas's again on Saturday. Can't wait to get mine. You will not be disappointed.

Tony is great to work with. Spoke with him Thursday when he told me mine is on its way.

He did say that he was going to the Shot Show, so reaching him may be a little hard this week.

I did ask him to get me an autographed picture of my Salient, that Pop Tart Sprinkle was posing with

on her Face Book Page, I wish it was mine, LOL!

He always answered my emails. If you can't reach him by phone, I would try that. I would order one right away,

because after the Shot Show I'm sure they will have even more orders.

These shotguns are top of the line. I looked at Chivas's again on Saturday. Can't wait to get mine. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. I sent an email last week to the generic email for Velocity Shooter and have not heard back. Now that I know he is at SHOT, I will wait before following up.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my first round of 5 Stand in about 2 years and I decided to bring my 21" Benelli with an IC choke just to embarass myself. I shot 21 out of 25, one of my best rounds ever. The next round I shot my new Winchester SX3 with a 28" barrel and modified choke for the first time. I shot 18 out of 25.

Surpisingly, the Salient seemed to shoulder better for me, swing easier and more smoothly and it definitley had less of a recoil impulse than the Win SX3! I need to put them on the scale, but they feel about the same weight. I'm not sure if it is the lightened bolt that makes a difference, but Benelli definitely had less of a recoil impulse and seemed to balance better for me.

I never thought I could shoot a decent round of 5 Stand with a 21" barrel. Looks like learned something new this weekend.