Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Components for Glock 34

Ray S.

Hi. About to get started in shooting matches, and will be using a Glock 34 with a Bar-Sto barrel. Could you gentlemen please give me an idea of the differences in reloading for shooting steel and paper? For paper, do you use full metal jacket or jacketed hollowpoints? Etc.... And for steel do you switch to lead bullets? Hope I'm clear enough on what I'm asking. Thanks much for any help you can give.

Most people do not load lead for use in 9mm. If you do load lead, then be sure to NOT switch back and forth between lead & jacketed in the Glock.

As for JHP or FMJ, that is pretty much a personal preference based on bullet brand, bullet shape, smoke issues, accuracy, range rules, etc. I always prefer an enclosed base so I use JHP.

For a 9mm load, I prefere a 147 gr JHP. In your gun, the best load (IMHO) would be about 3.4 gr of universal clays at about 1.1 OAL. In my gun (beretta vertec), I use 3.5 gr of VVN320 @ 1.085 OAL.

Have fun.

Ray I also shoot a G34 w/ a Barsto, and so does my wife.

We both shoot 147 Zero JHP's loaded to 1.155, over 3.3 grs VV320. Out of the BarSto this give about 900 to 910 fps. This is mixed brass, and WSR's. This is the most accurate combination of powder and bullet I have found for my either of my G-34/BarSto combinations.

I have never had a problem with steel going down. It doesn't take them down as fast as a 45, but if that is the performance you want get a 45.

I have played with loading the 147 to major for man on man steel matches, but as I try very hard to stick to VV powder, I haven't found a load yet that works to the point I want. I still need to try 3n38, but with the 105 I couldn't get enough in the case to safely get much over about 1070.

Ray,

I use Glock 34 in USPSA & IDPA competitions.

Jacketed plated bullets (Berry, Westcoast, Raineer....) are inexpensive to reload. I use those plated bullets for practice and local match. At big matches, I use Montana Gold for more consistency.

JHP bullets tends to have more splatters on steel target.

TiteGroup powder from Hogdon is a good all around powder.

What Flex said.

For what it's worth, I'm having *very* good results with Lasercasts in my 40. I have no lead buildup whatsoever. As long as your BarSto has smooth rifling and a polished chamber, leading should be nada. Titegroup is an excellent, inexpensive, and versatile powder. Even if you switch calibers, you will always have a use for it in a handgun - buy the 8lb keg.