Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a new pair of electronic ear muffs

I posted this question under a different topic and was informed that it was "moved" to this topic but can't find here. Anyway, I shoot steel challenge and when I transition from one plate to the next (on close targets) my Sordins are still blocking the sound from the first shot so I don't have confirmation of the hit. Occasionally, I miss and equally as often I think I missed and go back and reshoot the plate. All of this costs a boatload of time. My Sordins are great muffs but I am looking for electronic muffs with the quickest recovery time. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I thought that the Sordins used compression technology rather than clipping. (Sordins in good working condition should, in theory, allow you to hear the plates.)

Perhaps the ear muffs are reducing the sound so much that you cannot hear it.

I was going to suggest Pro Ears ear muffs. I think that they use similar compression technology where louder sounds lower the amplification in some way so that you can still hear sounds. I believe that cheaper earmuffs use clipping where the ear muff "clips" out the loud noise by cutting off sound amplification.

It is possible that Pro Ears might reduce the sound slightly differently in a frequency range such that you might be able to hear the sound of the plates being hit where you might not with the Sordins.

I might be wrong and my explanation of the compression and clipping might be a bit off as well.

I love my ProEars. I have the diminsion plus and can hear hits on steel no problem. I can hear queit conversations better than without the ProEars. Just use plugs when shooting a rifle/shotgun stage then take out plugs and use the ProEars.

I love my ProEars. I have the diminsion plus and can hear hits on steel no problem. I can hear queit conversations better than without the ProEars. Just use plugs when shooting a rifle/shotgun stage then take out plugs and use the ProEars.

+1! I love my pro ears. well worth the price of admission.