Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doubting and believeing

Biloxi23

• 5 weeks later...

To doubt everything or to belive everything are two equally convenient soloutions; both dispense with the necessity of refelction.

H. Poincare

There's nothing convenient about doubting everything. Belief is convenient. Doubt is all about reflection. I conclude Poincare was a freeking idiot. Doubt is, to my mind, the heart of knowledge. We simply don't know shit until we question everything. If we DON'T question everything, we begin to regress/degrade into belief and of course the evil curse of Religion ensues. Not only do we believe, but we kill others who don't believe the same way--my definition of Religion.

Wasn't there some French guy who invented the microscope? Jeeeez. There truly was a Golden Age in France. And lordy be...that age came into existence because folks suddenly cast off the shackles of 'belief'. Doubt is the painful magic of human existence. Belief is its comfortable curse.

'Infidel' as a scream to the sky is an angry moment when a man says you do not believe as I do. And it's at this moment when any reasonable man raises up the weapon he's been granted the right to wield, and splashes that awful shit's head into space with a round of freedom...there is no set of rules, or religion., that OWNS me!!!! f*#k you!!!!.

Give me liberty, or....heh...die you a_-hole!

That's the whole deal with our friends who love their religions. No GRAY. And this is why we have so much slaughter--religious black and white.

Edited by Bongo Boy

My dear Bongo, me thinks you missed Poincaré's point. He is not about dogma he is all about the scientific method but as a mathematician and theoretical physicist his quotes tend to be very Zen in nature. There is no "God" in his ideas.

The following quote should enlighten:

"La pensée ne doit jamais se soumettre, ni à un dogme, ni à un parti, ni à une passion, ni à un intérêt, ni à une idée préconçue, ni à quoi que ce soit, si ce n'est aux faits eux-mêmes, parce que, pour elle, se soumettre, ce serait cesser d'être."

"Thinking must never submit itself, neither to a dogma, nor to a party, nor to a passion, nor to an interest, nor to a preconceived idea, nor to whatever it may be, if not to facts themselves, because, for it, to submit would be to cease to be."

Speech, University of Brussels (1909-11-19), during the festival for the 75th anniversary of the university's foundation; published in Œuvres de Henri Poincaré (1956), p. 152