Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Colorado

JasonS

Hello everybody!

I'm new to competition type shooting, and I've been practicing regularly (mostly live fire accuracy drills) for the last couple of months in preparation for my first competition match. In pursuit of that goal a couple of months ago, I bought my first STI 2011, a Brazo's HP Edge, and wow what a pistol, since then pretty much every one of my production (DA) pistols has found it's way to the "retired" shelf in the back of my gun safe. The addicition is still spreading, and lately I've been spending all my time researching open-division guns, wanting to try that next step.

What a steep learning curve it continues to be, to progress from an average defense oriented shooter to "competitive" themed shooting. Luckily this web site has been extremely helpful! I found this web site, after I had finished reading Brian's book, and after much research, I just recently ordered from Brian my first Dillon press an XL650 (to help offset my ammo costs), so I'm also a new reloader!

Well that's a little bit about me. I'm looking forward to participating in the sport!

Jason

Couldn't find any information on the Aurora Gun Club web page. What sort of competition will it be?

Thanks,

Jason

USPSA match.

ecouspsa.com

has all the match information for the frontrange for USPSA, steel, IDPA, multigun

I went to my first USPSA match today, the one EERW suggested. It was pretty awesome, to watch all you guys shoot.

I've been shooting alot at my local range, hopefully in preparation that I don't make a fool of myself when I shoot my first match. Mostly I've just been doing accuracy on longer shots, while I've been waiting for the left handed holster I ordered. (Going on 2 months wait now.)

After watching today though, I'm wondering how the heck do you guys practice for that? Is there really anything other than dry fire in your basement? It's not like I can walk from stall to stall at the range at my gun club, shooting one handed while carrying a briefcase. (Well, not without raising a few eyebrows anyway.) Or is just going to competitions every weekend considered the practice?

Also are there any "competition" themed classes around Colorado I should consider taking?

Thanks

Jason

I went to my first USPSA match today, the one EERW suggested. It was pretty awesome, to watch all you guys shoot.

I've been shooting alot at my local range, hopefully in preparation that I don't make a fool of myself when I shoot my first match. Mostly I've just been doing accuracy on longer shots, while I've been waiting for the left handed holster I ordered. (Going on 2 months wait now.)

After watching today though, I'm wondering how the heck do you guys practice for that? Is there really anything other than dry fire in your basement? It's not like I can walk from stall to stall at the range at my gun club, shooting one handed while carrying a briefcase. (Well, not without raising a few eyebrows anyway.) Or is just going to competitions every weekend considered the practice?

Also are there any "competition" themed classes around Colorado I should consider taking?

Thanks

Jason

Jason- after watching our match today you can see that we all regularly make fools of ourselves..don't hesitate to join in. The one stage you're referencing- shooting one-handed- being a lefty would have given you an advantage. Just come shoot.

Welcome ! There sems to be pretty many active CO practical shooters using this forum.

What I usually do; "I set up my own match" once a week from tuesday to thursday in shooting range near Brighton : http://www.wildlifehunters.com/

Then I usually go couple times a week to shoot some basic things (grouping, draws, reloads etc) at local indoor range, dry firing at least once a day + match (sometimes 2) in weekend.

Local matches are the best practice you can get, and many matches are very nice in CO :) However, I feel that I need to do lots of training where I actully shoot a stage.

Btw; when somebody is making him/herself a fool, nobody is usually laughing. That is because he/she may be the next one who is gonna do something funny, and he/she knows that ;)