Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking to get into 3gun

The USPSA club at SacValley range is having their annual Thanksgiving 3 Gun Match this Saturday. First time they are using time plus scoring.

Come out and see what the shooters are using. There will be a wide range of shotguns, pistols and rifles at this match.

Some top 3 gun shooters will be there also. One shooter is coming up from LA. Lot of shooters coming from the Bay Area.

The match is sold out. There is a waiting list. They have to limit it to be able to get done by dark. Limited to 50.

The Benelli, Salient Benelli, FN, Mossberg 930, Remington 1100 are all good choices. Some are better than others.

I like the JP for rifle but there are many choices depending on what you want to spend, how much you are going to shoot and at what distance. Saturdays match will go out to 360 yds on the long range stage.

Hope to see you Saturday.

Edited by Trail3

As someone who just made the switch, I would advise you to get an AR with a rifle length gas system. Not a carbine length system.

It will shoot MUCH softer and if you just get a standard A2 pattern rifle you will have a sight radius advantage if you decide to shoot irons.

I'm guessing you have to limit yourslef to CA "approved" long-guns. Maybe search out what is available at that local match Trail3 mentioned. 3-gunners are great at helping people get started, but there is a lot to it and the CA issue might make it better to get local input. Welcome!

Another idea. Had I not already owned an AR and shotty I would have done this.

Consider bringing just some ammo to a local match, and try out some others stuff. I know that most of the people I shoot with would be more than happy to give you a go at their equipment, with factory ammo. Kind of like test driving cars, it would make sense. See what you like, and what you don't.

I shot matches for 2 years with basically a stock Bushmaster (added good trigger, and comp), then when I made the upgrade, it was with a full meal deal JP CTR-02. I knew at that point EXACTLY what I wanted, and am happy with it. Saved from buying several different guns, along the way.

Good luck, welcome, and let us know what you decide on!